The Involuntary Dance

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

It was dark all around me, yet there was a shining bright light on my face. I felt it would melt me on the spot. I unwillingly stood up with my toes turned out and my hands out in front of my navel, as if they were making the shape of a beach ball. Beautiful, haunting, music started playing. The source of this sound was unknown to me, but I didn’t have the time to dwell on it. My body started moving again and I needed to clear my mind.

Not even a couple of seconds passed before my body twirled gracefully around the makeshift stage. I leaped into the air, almost as if I were a beautiful flying bird, with one hand out in front and the other behind me. It was as though my hand in the front was desperately trying to reach out for something unknown.

I danced frantically for a long time, but I grew too tired to continue. I became sluggish and tried extremely hard not to trip over my feet, but alas the effort was in vain. Even though these things were happening to my body I just couldn’t stop dancing, even though I wanted it to.

After all, how can a puppet that is controlled by strings stop, when the puppeteer refuses to let them go free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!