Karate Kata Confusion

Have you ever realised you had forgotten all of the information for a crucial exam, that could change the entire course of your life, when you hadn't actually, and you had gotten stressed for no reason? Well, that was exactly what happened to me - on the day that I was going for my 3rd Kyu Brown Belt in my karate grading. It all started then, when I walked into the aging karate dojo and saw three long rows of harsh Japanese examiners and instructors at desks, with their "FAIL" stamps at the ready. One of them asked my name and performance kata in order to complete my registration. I told him but then it struck me, I had just remembered that I had completely forgotten how to perform my kata, Seien Chin!

Then, when I thought that nothing could possibly get worse, the head sensei of the Shukokai Union called "Declan Gallagher" to the performance ring. He then says "Kata" - I was completely stuck and had absolutely had no idea what kata to do. My mind was as empty as a lake without water. Seconds after I decide to announce that my kata is Kosukun Shiho (which was a complete lie), he yells "Hajame" at the top of his angry voice, and I begin the forever dreaded kata. I was easily convinced I would fail the 360° jump, and not to mention the whole grading because of one kata. I felt like an amateur and an unprofessional white belt that didn’t know how to put their belt on.

As I bowed at the end of the kata I sighed with relief and walked into the reception to find out my forever dreaded results for performing the incorrect kata. The receptionist was unsure of my result as my examiner fell asleep due to 3 months of straight exams and forgot to send through the results so I had to wait for what felt like hours but was actually two minutes for the results to be sent.

As I was called over to the reception desk, I overheard the receptionist tell a trainee to get a brown belt. Then the receptionist congratulated me for gaining my brown belt and the head instructor of the Shitoryu Shukokai Union and the head of the World Karate Federation (WKF) presented it to me. I felt so proud of myself for surviving and wished that I could hold onto that feeling forever. Now, whenever I look at my karate uniform, I remember this grading and my not-so-dreadful results.

Karate Terminology
Words Meaning
Dojo Training Space
Kata A series of movements
to simulate a fight
Seien Chin A grading kata
Hajame Begin
Kosukun Shiho A grading kata
3rd Kyu 3 Gradings away from
Black Belt
Shukokai A style of Karate
Shitoryu A style of Karate

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!