Danny's Chronicles



The light flickered, casting a shadow across the young girl’s chubby cheeks. You could just make out the freckles speckled across her face.
Danny Tabatha Peterson stared up at the pale blue roof of her tiny blue room, contemplating.
It was a Friday night, the sound of the rain hitting the tin roof of her house familiar to the eleven year old. Lightning flashed, lighting the room through the window, before it fell dark once again.
Danny was thinking.
She doesn’t know what made her think of the boy who lives two streets down on Millview Lane, the boy who wears glasses like Superman. But she couldn’t stop her thoughts of him.
Personally Danny had never talked to the older boy; he was new to their little New England town, and a grade above her at school. While Danny and her best friend Annie usually hogged the monkey bars during break little Logan Emmer’s sat under the schools old oak tree, alone.
Danny frowned as she remembered hers and Annie’s lunchtime chatter.
***
Annabel Vinnie Roberts swung from the red monkey bars; her golden blonde hair falling from its braid and her school dress was wrinkled and smeared with sand. Danny knew Mrs. Roberts would be furious when Annie got home.
“Why do you think he's by himself?”
Danny knew exactly who Annie was talking about, following her best friends gaze Danny glanced at the figure half hidden behind the trunk of the schools famous oak tree- famous because it was nearly a gazillion years old, from where she sat perched on the playgrounds seesaw.
It had been three days since Annie and Danny first saw the new boy sitting beside that tree, they thought he'd have made some friends by now but Logan seemed to be scared of other people’s attention.
Danny shrugs in answer to her friend’s question. “Maybe he doesn’t like anyone here.”
Annie scoffs. “Some of the kids in this school are nicer then Ms. Hutton.”
Ms. Hutton was an old woman that lived three houses down from the school. Every day when Annie and Danny walked passed on their trek to and from school the older woman is always waiting out front of her small brick home with a plate of cookies and two cups of orange juice.
“Well then maybe he just wants to be alone.” Danny retorts.
“Or he could be a secret superhero hiding himself behind those glasses, not wanting to get close to anyone so his enemies don’t use them against him.”
Danny laughs at her friend’s excitement for anything comic book worthy, yet she couldn’t seem to tear her blue eyes away from the lone boy.
***
Danny smiles as her eyes begin to close; her last thought was about the next morning, where she vowed to herself she would introduce herself to the boy who seemed to have wormed himself into her life, without him even knowing.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!