Cold

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Sweet smells wafted through the air as the last few lovely dressed ladies left the garden party, farewelled they left and she could feel the chill of the night coming in. She quickly made her way home, to the warmth of her soft, comfy blankets. She snuggled up in its warmth and embraced the softness. Her last few days had been hard, organising stuff and finally some proper rest and a time where she could be alone. She fell into a deep sleep as the fog and snow came in, blanketing the world in whites and greys. In the morning, everything was still, cold and harsh. The fires were out, the coals cool to the touch. She stepped out onto the freezing cobbles, her feet instantly chilled. She slipped on a frozen puddle her hand hitting the ice, it splintered her hand penetrating the fractures. It was so cold, her heart throbbed She held the small gold locket around her neck, a gift from her mother and no matter how poor she became she would never sell it, she grasped it in her hand and held on tight. She lay still. That morning was one of the coldest mornings in the history of London, the fog swirled on the street where she lay, cold, still, a figure lying on an icy street. Someone walked out of the shadows, a young man. He picked her up, carried through the streets back to her small, ramble of a shack. He placed her in her blankets. He felt her pulse, a tear rolled down his cheek, he leant forward, hugging her. Looking out onto the street he sat, stoking the fire, he was upset. He knew nothing could save her. Her wept, tears of pure sadness. In her cold, clutched hand sat the gold locket. Against her chest all night it had heated up. Warmth seeped into her fingertips the moment she had grabbed it. Now her slow beating heart fastened. Colour returned to her cheeks. She sat up and with a start the young man looked at her. In that moment they knew, ghostly apparitions of each other.
From an outside view, a young man lay next to a girl. Both still, both white. The roof of the hut collapsed inward. The snow fell in burying them in a soft white blanket, the best farewell the world could give. The saddest cold swept across the land, no one knew her or him but so peaceful so innocent. At least, they can be happy together now wherever they are. Unloved, they loved. Scorned they held onto faith. They were so beautiful.
Cold.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!