Kek

"Kek"

On the streets Kek sometimes slept but never rested. The cold of the concrete slipped into his clothes and numbed his ass when he sat with his back against a wall and his forehead propped against his knees. Kek always had to watch out for the police, who'd arrest him, or other homeless people, who'd steal his knapsack – or worse – if they caught him off guard. Ryou's sofa was the first true opportunity to rest and dream. He dreamed that he held Ryou while surrounded by stars and that Ryou sang until the darkness brought dawn. When Kek opened his eyes, he saw a tray of food Ryou left for him sitting on the coffee table.

Kek sat up and rubbed grit from the corners of his eyes. By the sun sneaking through the windows, Kek guessed it was near noon. He'd never slept that long before. He studied the food in front of him; water and juice, a small ceramic pot filled with green tea gone cold from sitting, bacon, scrambled eggs, and toast with butter and jam set out on the side. Even cold, the food brought saliva to Kek's mouth. He forced himself to eat slower than he wanted to. Most the food he ate was prepackaged from stores, something he didn't need to cook or use silverware for since he didn't have a kitchen. Everything Ryou made tasted incredible, even the cold tea. He saved the toast for last, remembering what Ryou said about needing something sweet at the end of each meal.

Half way through his second piece, tears welled up in Kek's eyes. He stared at his pants, clean and folded, and at the tray of food Ryou gave him. Why would that make him cry? He knew it had to do with his dream, and the pants folded on the coffee table, but he couldn't connect the events or draw meaning for them. Instead, he wiped his eyes and finished his toast.

Kek spent the next few hours walking through Ryou's apartment. Everything had a place, except him of course. Kek decided to wash the tray and breakfast dishes he used. In the kitchen he noticed a note on the fridge. Ryou wrote to Kek that it'd be nice if he stayed for dinner, but if he had to go, that Ryou prepared some sandwiches for Kek to take with him. Kek opened the fridge door and saw three sandwiches, two apples, and two boxes of pocky sitting up front where Kek would see it all. He ate two sandwiches and the apple before Ryou walked through the door.

Ryou's expression lit up when he saw Kek sitting on the couch. It reminded Kek of the sunrise in his dream. He gestured to the food he'd saved and Ryou sat down and unwrapped the last sandwich. He studied Kek a moment before taking a polite bite of the food.

"I was afraid you'd be gone."

"Why is that?"

Ryou smiled.

"Never mind... I'm glad you're still here."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!