Eagles

Sweat was pouring down my face as I ran through the trees. The egg was rocking and making strange noises. I stopped for a second to catch my breath and get a closer look at the egg. The egg was hatching!
A week earlier…
“Jack, where are you?’’ I called through the trees for my best friend. “Jack this isn’t funny anymore.” I could hear the distant cries of my friends. I shouted once more, “Jack!” And then it hit me, he must be on Eagle Top Mountain. Nobody had been up there in almost a hundred years. There were rumours of enormous eagles that lived up there that could tear you apart!
I trudged up the mountainside, I was almost halfway there when I heard something, not far away from me. It was a stubborn little egg. I watched it as it slowly rolled down the mountainside. It began to pick up speed, and the thought occurred to me that I should probably save the poor little creature inside. With a sigh I started to run towards the runaway egg. Up ahead I could see the drop, this is it…
I ran, jumped and caught! “Aaaaaagh!” I screamed as I fell, aiming for a streamlined dive, hoping I was diving into water, and deep water at that. CRASH!!!
I had collided with the ground. Then I started floating, floating upwards. I gasped for air as I reached the surface of the water. I’d landed in water!
By the time I had arrived at the village it was dark. My friends were waiting at the entrance for me. “Have you guys found Jack yet?” I asked. “We found him at the ant hill.” “E-eagles came. They took Jack and then flew back to Eagle Top.”
It had only been a week and there had been countless eagle invasions, about ten people had been taken. I knew why the eagles were coming. I sprinted home to retrieve the egg. When I’d found the egg up on Eagle Top it was about as big as a chicken egg but now it was almost the size of a saucepan. I sighed. That would make me a lot more vulnerable on my journey to Eagle Top.
Sweat was pouring down my face as I ran through the trees. The egg was rocking and making strange noises. I stopped for a second to catch my breath and get a closer look at the egg. The egg was hatching! I heard a piercing shriek from above. I heard a few more. Then I saw an eagle diving straight at me. I threw the egg above my head and ducked, preparing for the worst. I looked up and saw an eagle flying above me, grasping the egg in its talons. It seemed to say something that sounded like, “Thank you.” Another eagle came and laid an unconscious Jack on the ground beside me. I looked up and saw other eagles. Jack suddenly woke, “Jay, what h-h-happened?” I sighed and looked up to the sky. “It’s a long story.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!