Last Stand Of Dead Men

I took one look at the book Mrs Shona was showing us and fainted.
You see, it had all started 3 years ago. The librarian was distracted. I slipped through the shadows towards the Forbidden Shelf, where no one dared to venture. On that shelf was a book. But this was not any ordinary book. There was a sort of glowing aura around it. The book looked centuries old. Fascinated, I blew the dust off. “LAST STAND OF DEAD MEN,” I murmured. I found my hands prising the book open…
When I saw what was inside the book I gasped. It had to be the most amazing thing ever. The pages were made of yellowed parchment, battered through the years. The words and pictures were written with black ink.
Even with the torn pages, I thought this had to be the most astounding thing ever. Better than Harry Potter. Better than the 39 clues. Better than The Series of Unfortunate Events. Little did I know, this book would turn out to be my worst nightmare.
All of the pictures showed 6 men. “Anton Shudder, Dexter Vex, Erskine Ravel, Skulduggery Pleasant, Saracen Rue and Ghastly Bespoke,” I recited aloud.
As I spoke these names, I realised something else. Above these words, it said ‘THE DEAD MEN’ as I talked, the black ink turned into golden light that sucked me into the book.
My eyes opened. I was in a world of shadows. I remembered that I had read in a book that shadow magic was called, ‘Necromancy’. I sensed someone was close. Looking up, 4 men were looking up at me. I recognised the men from pictures. “Anton Shudder, Dexter Vex, Erskine Ravel, Skulduggery Pleasant, Saracen Rue and Ghastly Bespoke, known as the Dead Men?” I asked cautiously. The man in the middle replied with a slow, deep voice, “Correct, I am Skulduggery Pleasant.” It was then I noticed that Skulduggery Pleasant was a skeleton. Normally, I would be frightened to death. Oddly surprisingly, I wasn't a bit frightened. Pleasant continued, pointing to the 5 other men. “This is Anton Shudder, Dexter Vex, Erskine Ravel, Saracen Rue and Ghastly Bespoke. You must get out of here quickly. There shall be an invasion here,” but before Pleasant could continue, an explosion rang out, “Run!” Pleasant yelled and I did. I ran like the wind. But suddenly, I tripped. ‘This is it,’ I thought, ‘this is where I die.’
But before I knew it, a strong hand grabbed me and tossed me to where the ancient book was. I remember the joy and relief. I had felt as the book whirled me through, back into the real world. As I walked away from the Forbidden Shelf, I thought, after that, ‘I don't think I’ll be opening any ancient book soon.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!