Forest Fright

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

CRACK, a branch snaps like a fragile spine a few metres behind me. I treaded back unaware of the dangers that snapped the branch. I scurried against a freezing tree with a spine-chilling feeling. In the shadows of this blood curdling forest lurked beasts unknown to mankind. Under the petrifying canopy of flora I lay helplessly alone and paralysed with fear.
Why did I have to wander away into the hands of this natural hell? Why did I have to be in this world of horrendous pain and hair raising fear? Questions flashed through my scarred mind. With only the clothes on my back and my natural skills I was useless. Survive the night practically without anything was my only one option I can do. I can only do the impossible…
As the Sun sets and the moon rises my fear began to rise as well. Knowing nothing about the nature and being a spoilt brat I was certain this was the end. The darkness wasn`t helping as it eliminates my key sense. My sight was my main way of survival. I must rely on my other senses for survival. I scavenged until midnight and only retrieved three gooseberries. I decided to have mercy on myself and set myself to sleep. Which was indeed a challenge but eventually I found a decent spot and I faded away.
I wake up when the blood orange sun shines in my bedraggled eyes. A do a mammoth yawn and attempt to shake of my tiredness. I glance around me for any sign of danger. I Suck on a berry then eat the skin. Food was scarce so I had to work with what I got. I stood up to start again for a search of food while it was day.
I took a step forward and suddenly my world went upside down. Blood rushed to my confused head. The berries I devoured came right back out along with some vomit. My hair stood on its end maybe because I was upside down or I was so terrified. Out of the bush came a black figure. It held a razor in its pale white hands and had a malicious grin. Every step it took I knew it was a step closer to whole new world of pain. It was a foot away from me and it just stopped. It turned its head and screamed a malicious laugh. Then In a split second it whipped its knife straight at my neck. I waited for immense pain but I felt nothing.
The figure just stood there with a depressed face. It dropped the blade in my hands reach and left while howling with laughter. I instantly grabbed the razor and cut myself loose. I was alive which was great but now staying alive is the problem.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!