Fancy Running Into You!

Fancy Running into You!

When I went to the beach the other day, something peculiar happened. A magnificent creature had washed up on the shore. It had little slivers of seaweed coming out of its mouth but it wasn’t alive. Everyone started crowding around it. It was as long as a bus. Some kids started to jump on it but I knew better. It might have been a dangerous animal or an alien. I decided to alert the police.

This strange creature from the deep intrigued me. It was the weirdest thing I had ever seen. Later that night, when I went home, I thought about it some more. I decided to go to the police station when I woke up the next day.

But the police were too busy solving petty crimes to care about a dead fish. They said it was probably a beached whale. Disappointed, I took a stroll through the park when I saw a congregation talking about the creature. They had pictures and soundtrack of everyone hustling and yelling.

I joined in their conversation and got a few suggestions on what it might be. The craziest suggestion was someone guessing it was his Grade 3 teacher! It probably wasn’t.

The news had gone viral in my small town of Rochester. It was up to me solve the mystery. I knew that it had long horizontal gills and eyes the size of a dinner plate. I was an expert on fish but I had never seen anything like this. I felt like I was in the midst of this commotion. Something was up... I had to figure out what this thing was, where it came from and why it ended up here.

With deep thought, I had narrowed it down to some possibilities. I thought it could be an oarfish but they rarely surfaced. Or, was it an ocean sunfish? They are heavy bony fish.

I went back to the beach to look for more clues when I heard a crashing noise. I turned out around – incredibly, it was another creature! It looked exactly the same as the first one. Now this was getting out of hand. There was no use telling the police so I went up to it. It felt soft and slimy. From that, I knew it had died quite recently. I thought that I might just cut it open with my small knife. I leapt back when I saw small fish still swimming around.

I rushed home to Google my findings and was amazed to find fresh scientific reports saying that a new species of oarfish had been discovered but in California, on the opposite side of the world.

Imagine that! I had discovered a new species on my part of the planet! There was no point in telling the police. They could read about it when my discovery was named in honour of my town. Regalis Rochesteria is here to stay!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!