What's For Breakfast?

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Gordon patiently lies underneath the broad oak table that’s in the dining room, whilst outside, the only sounds are of the dogs bounding around and the horses waking from their deep slumber, along with the many insects, chattering as though it is the last time they are allowed to speak. Gordon’s ears prick up to the sudden sound of his owner’s footsteps moving softly towards him. Following his ears, he looks up and he can see the door handle turning slowly. He jumps to his feet, and quickly but smoothly, he sprints to her and laces his soft coat through her ankles. He walks over to his food bowl with his owner following his silent footsteps. Gordon’s eye twitches as he sees something move outside. He stares at the bird as it erupts into a deafening screech. His owner attempts to shoo it, but it’s too late. Gordon has seen it. He runs outside at a lightning pace, just as the bird starts flying away, even though his owner is shouting at him to come back. Gordon bolts off after the rainbow lorikeet with the same amount of energy as a racing Holden V8. The lorikeet flies high into a eucalyptus tree and lands safely. It watches as Gordon quietly attempts to sneak up the tree. The bird creeps further along the branch until it reaches the end. Gordon climbs to the same branch and cautiously eyes the lorikeet for a while. He swiftly moves to the perfect position to pounce on his prey. The lorikeet cleverly moves itself just out of Gordon’s range, as if taunting him to come closer. Gordon slowly edges his way towards the lorikeet, venturing further out onto the strong limb. All of a sudden, he pounces at the cunning bird, missing by inches! The bird flies off into the tree-line about 500 metres away, leaving Gordon behind hanging from the tree branch by just his two front paws. Gordon meows in distress, and he can’t manage to swing his body back up onto the thick, glossy branch. He screeches and howls until his owner finally finds the tree that he has so foolishly climbed. ‘Gordon! I’m here!’ she shouts up in a worried tone, ‘Let go and I’ll catch you!’ Gordon doesn’t trust her though, being his stubborn self. He meows and he meows, but he will not let go. Try as he might, he could not get back up onto the branch either, as he didn’t have a good enough grip. Gordon’s owner had one last trick up her sleeve though. ‘Gordon!’ she exclaims, ‘Do you want your breakfast or not?’ Gordon looks down, gives one final ‘Meow’, and releases his grip on the smooth branch. Of course, his owner catches him. She walks back inside and places him down. He goes over and sits quietly by his food bowl, and waits for his breakfast of gourmet beef and lamb, whilst his human siblings come out to have their breakfast.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!