Dancing In The Wind

I sat on one of those park benches. You know, the ones that hurt if you sit on them too long. The bench was next to a big hill that everyone called a cliff. I was so close to the cliff I could see all the way down the rocky surface and the moss on those bits that jut out, way down to the big clearing. Then I saw it. Years ago, that’s when I saw it. A beautiful swallow, a bird, just dancing in the wind. Swooping, diving, twirling, turning. I loved it, because I had never seen a bird like that. A bird that didn’t care about what was going on around it. It just danced in the wind. I watched that bird for three hours straight, and I noticed that it had a red stripe down one of its wings. Garnet. I vowed I would remember that bird forever. After a while Garnet flew into the trees, out of my sight. I missed her. I went home after that, without anything better to do.
51 years later
Don’t ask me what my name is. I can’t remember. Doctors say I had a stroke. Maybe, I don’t remember. I don’t remember anything of my childhood, or anything else, for that matter. Right now I’m at a cliff, big hill. There is one of those big green chairs at the edge. I sit down there. I’m so close to the edge I can see all the way down the grassy cliff face to the meadow below. I wait there, for a few hours. I don’t know what I’m waiting for. Something to happen, I guess. And then I see it. A beautiful swallow, the bird, just dancing in the wind. Swooping, diving, twirling, turning. It has a red stripe down on of its wings. Garnet. And it all comes back to me. My name is Mary. When I was 6 I saw that bird, that same one, I think. It saved my life. I remember.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!