Stifled Fire

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

The news hit him like a blow, grief crashed upon him like a tidal wave. His face creased into one of anguish as tears streamed down his face. A rasping sob emitted from his tight throat as he began to weep. “It can’t be true, it can’t!” he cried into the dark depths of his grief. But deep down inside him he knew it was.
Time passed by him without much feeling, it was as though a heavy black fog had entered his body and cut off all senses, only to lift to make way for grief. Her name was Audrey, she had a soul that burnt like a roaring fire, and a will stronger than steel. Through time he was given, her vivid red cap and diary to help find closure for he had given up on living. Food was like ashes in his mouth, he forgot what it felt like to laugh, smile and have happiness.
May 12th 1987
I have been moved again to another orphanage, I am sick of being displayed at others, like I am a toy and not a child. They say I am stubborn! Anyway, as I enter the door, I am greeted by a musky smell and I began to wheeze and cough as dust fills my lungs. When the fit passes, I look at my surroundings, grey walls, grey floors, grey everything! I even have a grey uniform I am currently wearing, which is stiff and horribly itchy! (Not to mention how ghastly it looks!). As I go out to the courtyard, I am in a cacophony of screams and shouts as children play. I search around for an opportunity to join them but none lay open. I see a lone boy with large chestnut eyes, and dark curls that hang over his face, he seems terrified of anything, even when I tried to say hello he flinched and scurried off.
I have been told his name is Quinn, his mother died at his father’s abusive hands and he suffered much as well. His father abandoned him, left him dying after a severe beating. They say he is scarred.
Quinn began to read her diary to desperately find peace, though none was found. He read about their blossoming friendship as the years passed. They grew from children to young adults, more memories were read about her sickness growing. Quin read the book, to the very last page.
June 30th 1999
I have been told there is a large gaping hole in my heart and I am destined to die. There is no way I can escape this inevitable fate I am in. When I die, I want Quinn to have this so he knows how I died. I want him to have my hat that has a hole that matches my heart. I want him to know that I love him.
Quinn clutched the hat and fell back crying. He knew he had to move on.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!