The Treacherous Storm

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Mia screamed, jumped up and ran across the hall to her parents.
“What’s the matter?” her mother asked in her half reassuring voice while playing her third go in candy crush hoping she would make it to the next level.
“You didn’t hear it?” Mia answered.
But that was the dumbest thing Mia ever said. Her parents never heard anything when playing their games on their new phones.
Her mum finally spoke up, “you mean that crash? That was probably the Neighbours cat,” She said reassuringly.
“Yeah,” her dad said “the neighbour’s cat, I’ll tuck you in bed.”
CRASH! The power went out.
“Oh my Wi-Fi turned off,” mum whinged.
“I guess the powers out,” Dad said.
“What?” Mum said “I was on my last move ready to go on to the next level in candy crush this is chaos. “
CRASH! The neighbour’s garden completely collapsed. The rain was pouring down; they couldn’t even turn on the radio because they didn’t have one because it was too old fashion.
They ended up falling asleep around 9:30, which is pretty surprising for people who have iPhones and are night owls [Once Mia even got to school late because they wouldn’t wake up]. The storm continued through the night, the wind howled through the trees and the rain crashed down on the sheds tin roof. The neighbours best palm tree was ruined and Mia and her parents huddled in the bed.
Dad drew the curtains at 9:00 the next morning to see the damage. The car was a wreck, the streets were covered with branches and the main road was flooded. Mia couldn’t go to school for a whole week.

Mia guessed her mum and dad were really freaked out because they decided to stock up water bottles and buy flashlights and find a mobile company that worked in a storm. They had been so unprepared in that treacherous storm, but they didn’t even notice the next major storm that hit Logan city. From that day on they knew that what ever happened to the house it had insurance from RACQ -Queensland’s largest club, just kidding [ok its true].
The most important thing Mia’s parents learnt was to be prepared in a major storm like that one and Mia leant it is not a good idea to mix up dangerous chemicals that make stormy Cumulonimbus clouds in science class.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!