A Siren's Song

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I awoke to the sun streaming in through my window and going straight in my eyes. I sighed and pulled my duvet up and over my face. Then I went stiff, after a couple of seconds I shot up out of bed landing on my butt with a thud. I pointed my finger at the duvet and narrowed my eyes.

“I left you on the floor last night, how’d you get back on the bed… I guess dad picked you up and put you back on me.” I giggled.

As I went to do my mourning routine I patted the black duvet and apologised for yelling at it. The morning kind of went pass in a blur but that’s pretty normal for me and any teen at school. But today was different, it was off.

But all through school today the hairs on the back of my neck stood tall, I felt like eyes were watching my every step and the constant shivers that would rack my body all had me on edge.

Since I walk along the stone path that goes through the forest to get home I felt at ease. The forest has always given me this feeling of peace and serenity. It’s just the way the birds chirp and how the wind whispers secretes to you. How the light shines through the canopy of tree tops. The scent of wild flowers and the wild mushrooms with their wacky little faces.

Today was different though. The usually bright trees and flowers were dull in colour. The lush grass looked thinned and no birds could be herd. The sky was darkening and the strangest thing happened. I could hear a child singing.

I was so filled with curiosity that I left the stone path and followed the child’s voice. As I got closer the voice sounded so soft and despair filled. My heart dropped to my stomach at the sound of the child’s sad tone. By this point I was in a trance. My body was moving of its own accord.

The forest got darker and darker. My surroundings became gloomy and the scent of decomposing flesh filled my nostrils. But I kept walking. I don’t why, I just did. Even after I saw the severed limbs of human bodies and even after my feet became caked in dried blood.

When I finally came to a clearing, there was a little boy sitting on a rock. As he sang he stretched his arm out to me and like he wrapped me in some invisible rope I walked to him but It felt more like I was being pulled in. when I reached the little boy, his eyes shone red and he smiled with blood stained teeth.

I wanted, to run, to go home but I stood at a standstill. Unable to break his hypnotizing gaze. The last thoughts to run through my mind were I’m scared and I wanted my teddy bear. Then with searing pain everything went blank.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!