The Tree People

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

The view from the top of the tree was magnificent.
Ruby smiled as she looked up through the canopy of trees to the golden rays of sunlight shining on her. As she climbed down from her tree she embraced everything: the air in her face, the scratch of the grass and the smoothness of the little door at the bottom of the tree trunk.
Ruby had debated with herself whether or not to knock on the door, but this time she decided to. She knocked on the door. One, two, three. Out came a lady dressed in a blue frock with a white apron resting on top of her dress.
'Yes, what - WAAAA, a giant!’ she screamed.
'Umm, I'm not a giant.' Ruby replied. The little woman suddenly yelled. She ran inside and pulled out a great big horn. She then proceeded to blow the horn as loud as she could. Several men from all the trees around her and stood in a formation towards the front of the forest in front of Ruby. But instead of having weapons, the little men had big buckets of water. Ruby looked up, where the men were facing and saw a dark figure approaching.
'She is the Witch of the Villamores. She is our number one enemy!' A small voice whispered in Ruby's ear. Ruby jumped.
'Careful! I'm on your shoulder,' said the small voice again. Ruby slowly turned her head to her shoulder and saw the little woman again.
'Oh, you're the little woman I saw earlier.' Ruby replied.
'My name is Rebecca and I am the good witch of the people of the trees. As I told you earlier that is the Wicked witch of the Villamores. And your name is?' Rebecca asked.
'I am Ruby. We may be able to defeat the witch. Do you know her weakness?' Ruby questioned.
'Ohh, that is a special secret. Come closer and I will tell you.' Ruby then lowered her ear and they discussed a plan together.
Ruby ran panting to the tree people lugging a big bucket of water.
'Here I am!' she cried. She set the bucket down in front of Rebecca.
'You made it!' Rebecca triumphed.' Now we can defeat the Witch! Wait for my signal and then carry out the plan.' After a while she saw the signal from Rebecca. She quickly grabbed the bucket of water and hurried to the battlefield.
'There you are! Right now run in between the men and pour all the water on the witch.' Rebecca instructed. Ruby bravely obeyed. Splash! Ohh the witch's moan was terrible!
'Ahhhhhhhhh!' She screamed.
'Shut your ears!' shouted Rebecca's voice, faint in the distance. Ruby shut her ears and her eyes but it was too late. In Ruby's mind everything went black.
Open. Open. OPEN!!!! Slowly Ruby's eyes began to open. She came to in- wait, her bed! Was it all a dream? But she saw something on her bedside table that made her believe. It was a necklace with an emerald tree hanging on it. Beside it was a note:
A little thanks. From Rebecca.
Ruby smiled to herself and put the necklace on.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!