Kelpie!

It was nearly midnight, but Mya Fox was not in bed. She was galloping across the golden sand of Sequin Bay, at one with the powerful stallion beneath her. She guided him towards the water, and suddenly he stopped, almost throwing Mya out of her saddle. “Come on boy!” she coaxed, clicking her tongue and pressing her heels to the Arabian’s side. When he snorted and wouldn’t budge, she stopped, looking concerned. “What’s up Seahawk?” she queried, still puzzled at her horse’s unusual behaviour, “you normally love the ocean.” As if in reply Seahawk did something that had Mya very worried. He threw up his back legs and sent his rider sailing neatly over his ears. Then he turned, cantered back into the forest, and stood quivering, a silver ghost among the dark trees.
Mya slowly sat up, dazed and confused, and glanced around, searching for Seahawk. She soon found him and called out, “Come on, silly, there’s no need to hide!” Seahawk tossed his head and backed further into the darkness of the forest.
Mya shook her head and sighed, “Stay there then,” she retorted irritably, turning away from her stubborn horse and towards the ocean. A sudden movement caught her eye and made her pause, focusing on the spot where she had seen it. Suddenly, the ocean erupted. Sand and sea crashed down on Mya, forcing her to shut her eyes and pray that everything would be all right. Almost as soon as it had begun, the wave receded, leaving her soaked to the skin and gasping for breath.
Mya wiped the salt water out of her stinging eyes then jumped to her feet and raced for cover. A strange sound made her stop and turn back to the ocean where a horse-shaped shadow was emerging from the water. Then the clouds parted, revealing a spectacular full moon that cast its white light over everything, illuminating the shape in water. Mya sucked her breath in through her teeth in alarm; she regretted this instantly though, because it seemed very loud in the silence. The creature turned its head slowly towards her and she stood as still as possible while its probing gaze wandered over her.
According to the old stories of Sequin Bay, there used to be a whole herd of these mythical Scottish creatures in the area, but they mysteriously disappeared, and eventually they faded from thought altogether. But Mya never forgot. Now one stood before her - a regal, proud, Kelpie.
The Kelpie hesitantly walked forward, and froze only a step away from Mya. She tentatively reached a slender, freckled hand towards it. Suddenly Seahawk whinnied, breaking the magical silence, and the Kelpie turned tail and galloped back into the water. Mya paused to blink the salt out of her eyes, but when she looked up again, the stunning creature was gone, leaving Mya wondering if it was ever really there at all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!