Chukkamony's Karma

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

One fine dawn, a wizard named Chukkamony was walking through the woods in search of a magical stone that lay on the other side. Chukkamony was selfish, and planned to use the stone to murder his rivals. He planned to be the most feared sorcerer in the universe.

As he was on his way, Chukkamony came across a woman walking in the opposite direction. In her hand was an old rope that was tied to a small donkey walking beside her. The two of them were taking up the entire thin path and Chukkamony was annoyed, for on either side of the path were poisonous plants that caused disease.

“Woman,” snapped Chukkamony. “I order you to step aside onto the toxic ground so that I may pass!” The woman was startled at this wizard’s aggressive attitude.

“Please, sir,” said the woman in a soft voice. “My name is Fionabelle and I must sell my donkey at the village to buy medicine for my husband.”

“How dare you refuse my order!” Roared Chukkamony. “I shall punish you!” And with that, Chukkamony pushed Fionabelle and her donkey onto the poisonous plants and continued along the path.

A little while later, Chukkamony had come to the end of the woods. There was a deep, dark cave ahead, where the magical stone lay. Chukkamony retrieved the stone effortlessly and could not wait to use his newfound power.

Chukkamony went to village and used the stone to strike down a baker who had once refused him a cake. The village was terrorised. Chukkamony was revelling at his power. He was dancing around the village, enjoying the fear he brought upon the villagers, when he tripped on a rock. The magical stone flew out of his hand and into a deep rabbit hole. When the villagers saw that Chukkamony had lost his power, they chased him out of the village and told him never to return again.

Chukkamony kept on running, for he thought he was still being chased. He ran through the woods as fast as he could. Suddenly, his toe got caught on a rock and he went flying off the path. Chukkamony landed on a Castor Oil plant. Pain ran through his body and he collapsed. He lay weeping in the plants, waiting for death.

A minute later, Chukkamony noticed a familiar figure on the path walking towards him. It was Fionabelle, who had appeared to have sold her donkey and acquired the medicine to heal the disease she got the first time she met Chukkamony. She stopped in front of the suffering Chukkamony, she was his only hope.

“Woman!” Cried Chukkamony. “Help me up and give me medicine or I shall punish you!” Fionabelle was disappointed that Chukkamony was as arrogant and disrespectful as before, and that he had not changed his attitude.

“You let others and myself suffer before,” said Fionabelle. “I shall do the same to you.” She walked off and left Chukkamony to lie there until he died.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!