Safety

I kiss my mother and father on the cheek saying my very last goodbyes. Tears dribble down my pale skin. My father makes a stern face and glares at me. He always says true soldiers don't cry. It wasn't safe here anymore. I exhaled and watched the other children board the tiresome boat and soon we departed to the new land. Anchors away.
'Convicts were safe here in the 1700's and 1800's.' I learnt that from the many history classes my parents forced me to go to every single Saturday morning, but that feels as though it's just an old memory now. A lady was in charge of putting us into groups, alphabetically calling out our names, delegating cabins to each child. I would be pretty much last because my last name started with a 'W'. What felt like an eternity later she called out my name. “Elizabeth Wearing, Ryan Webbing and George Williams, you will be in a cabin together." We nodded our distressed faces and headed to our cabins. The floors creaked as I stumbled over them. I was assigned to cabin 102. Here I go.
Things will never be the same again. I remember my first birthday party, the sun glaring in my eyes. One of the hottest days in England I could remember. Drops of water trickled down my head as I wiped them off. I picked up a present and ran my small fingers over the linen ribbon. A pink wooden horse was surrounded by the box. That was the last birthday I had. Because I was leaving for an arid, dry, sweltering country... Australia. I snap back into reality leaving good and bad times behind. Will I return to a destroyed country?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!