The Paper Fortune Teller

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

One stormy night Sabrina and her friends, Max and Alex were reading. Sabrina chose a book and a paper fell out. Sabrina picked it up curiously. It looked old and crinkly but colourful.
“I think I found a paper fortune teller”.
“Let's try it!” Max said excitedly. Alex agreed.

“Pick a colour” Sabrina said.
“Green”.
“G-R-E-E-N,” Sabrina spelt. “Pick a number”.
“Six”.
“S-I-X” Sabrina spelt and then opened the flap, “There will be an explosion”.
“What does that mean?” Max asked.
“No idea”. Alex answered as he shook his head
“It's just a game” Sabrina said, “now it's my turn”.
But she heard her mum calling out from the kitchen.

“Anyone want to help with cooking?” Mrs Joan yelled. Max, Alex and Sabrina ran down stairs.
“Can you watch the soup, while I go to the bathroom?” Mrs Joan asked.
“Sure”. Sabrina replied. Sabrina turned up the heat whilst the boys played a game. The soup started bubbling as Sabrina stirred the huge pot but it got too hot to hold. She started looking for the mittens but could not find any. Suddenly, the soup spat out everywhere and exploded, all over the kitchen.
“Quickly get the towels” Max, Alex and Sabrina started to clean but Mrs Joan came back.
“Oh no! Is anyone hurt? I’ll take over” she said. “Why don't you play back upstairs?”

“The fortune came true” Max said.
“I thought it was only a game” Sabrina replied.
“We could have worse fortunes!” Alex remarked.
“I doubt it” Sabrina grabbed the fortune teller.
“Yellow, ten”. Sabrina opened the flap.
“Beware Alex” Sabrina dropped the fortune teller in shock but when she picked it up again it was blank. Her thoughts were running wild. ‘What will happen?’ Sabrina thought.
“I am scared!” Alex shouted.
“It's just a silly paper. Why don't we have dinner?” Max suggested.

The next morning, Sabrina woke up. Max and Alex were already awake.
“Alex is getting his Maths award today”. Max said.
‘I wonder if Alex will fall off the stage’ thought Sabrina as she remembered the fortune. The three children got ready after breakfast and Mrs Joan drove to school. They went inside and found seats. Alex went backstage.
Sabrina excused herself to go to the bathroom whilst the names were being called. Alex’s name was called. Alex walked on stage to receive his certificate and badge. As he walked, he tripped, grabbed the curtain ripping it from their hooks and bumped into the other students on stage, causing a domino effect. Alex then fell backwards on the stairs and landed on a pile of toilet rolls and broke his wrist. Everyone rushed to the stage.

“Thanks for saving me, with toilet rolls!” Alex said to Sabrina as they left the hospital.
“You're welcome! But that was a close one!” Sabrina replied. When they got home the children threw the fortune teller in the bin outside. As they walked away, a boy picked it up.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!