Family Secrets

Hi my name is Letty Mainjer; my brother’s name is Max Mainjer but he claims his last name is Glen (he’s always being weird and it makes me wonder). We also have a mum and dad.
Today Max is going to Adventure World and I have to stay at home with a dumb baby sitter and write for a competition. While he is away I start. I write for about 30 seconds and then get bored. My room is messy and I need somewhere to hang out. So I go to my parents’ room. I love to try on Mum’s high heels so I look in her wardrobe. I can’t find them but I see a pink box with a name on it. It says Lola so I look inside and find some baby clothes with tags on saying Lola Mainjer. There is also a birth date the same as mine. Do I have a twin sister?
The next day at school is boring and I forget to hand in my short write - oops. When I get home I run and tell Dad about my discovery, he looks alarmed and he tells me not to tell Mum.
I ask why and he says, “Sssshhhh” as Mum steps in the door.
Later that evening Mum asks me about my day so I tell her about the short write and well she sends me up to my room without any dinner. But thankfully Max comes up and gives me a cookie and milk. I thank him and read my favourite book called ‘Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh’. It’s one of those silly, crazy books like the ones that Andy writes. Then I try writing my own story. I decide to do a cliff hanger on the end as everyone says that cliff hangers are good ways to end. My story is about a girl called Letty Mainjer.
The next day I show it to the teacher Mrs Pen (good name for a teacher) and she says I can enter it in a new competition next week. After a long and busy week at school the teacher says that I have come second place and won $250. Awesome!
Dinner this night is normal. Everyone seems upset so I tell them I won $250. It doesn’t seem to cheer Mum up but it does cheer my brother up. He asks if he can have some and I say no. He tries to steal some later but I catch him and tell Mum. She doesn’t react so I get ready for bed and dress in my PJs. When she comes to tuck me in I remember about Lola and how Max always says his last name is Glen. It is all starting to add up but I still don’t tell Mum about what I suspect because I know it will upset her. But then she says to me I have something to tell you…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!