I HATE FLYING!

Suddenly something caught my eye, it was round, big and colourful. Perfect! I slowly walked to the round thing, trying to figure out what it was. Ah ha! I should have known better it was a hot air balloon! Of course! I was at a fair so I should have been expecting on coming across one. I gazed at the lovely colours and swirls, the more I stared the more I felt wonderful. The feeling inspired me so much, I couldn’t have felt better. But I never knew things were going to be much, much worse.
You see, I’ve got this annoying little freak (which is my annoying little brother) who annoys me everywhere I go no matter what. So I ended up being annoyed at the fair as well. To make things better my mum kindly asked “sweetie why don’t you take a picture with your brother?” Okay...the first seven words were the best words so far and I really wanted to do. But…the three words after it was a huge, massive NO, NO. But since I really wanted to get this picture done I managed to mutter a very small, squeaky “yes” I don’t think my mum heard or even at least try to hear what I said but she goes on and shouts “Oh good, now Jeann and Jason stand in front of the hot air balloon, say cheese!” My brother leans against me like I’m a wall and he’s cool but in real life he’s not, not even close! I didn’t even have a chance to complain because when the freak leaned against me I got pushed into the basket! Then something bad happened something really bad… I used the rope to get up!
The envelope stated getting bigger and bigger until finally I was floating in the air! Unless you’re a complete maniac that does not understand this a single bit I’ll explain it again I was flying in a hot air balloon!!! I slowly peered down to the ground to shout something not nice to my brother. WOW! I shouldn’t have, I’m pretty high up! I forgot to mention this earlier but I’m afraid of heights! I was just about to fall off, but luckily I held on tight!
I moved around the basket thinking ‘What do I do? What do I do?’ over and over again. Suddenly I felt cold all over “What if?” I said out loud. Suddenly my words blurted out “What if I’m stuck here forever?” I panicked. “Arghhhh!” I screamed. Somehow I felt sick, what was I going to do?
I decided to look around for something that might help me escape. I thought ‘If only I had the instructions,’. Slowly a joyful feeling came across me. Instructions! That was it! I had been forgetting all along! I was still holding onto the pedal! I had read a book about how to control a hot air balloon. That’s why I love reading books. They teach so many things. I carefully let of the pedal. Down, down, down I went THUD I landed right where I started. “My daughter!” Mum cried as she gave me a big, wet kiss. “MUM!” I cried. Everything is now happily ever after, my brother is grounded and I’m happy as can be.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!