Breaking Free

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

As Flake, the African Wild kitten, was making her way back to the colourful conservation centre to visit her loving friends after an exhilarating day of violent hissing, she stumbled upon the Ethiopian Wolf Area. A little play with the most amazing creatures should not hurt. Leaning forward, she was fascinated by the beauty and splendour of the foliage, and without thinking, collided with the hidden snout of a ferocious predator. Before she knew it, blood was seeping out of her veins, bones were being smashed to smithereens, and hearts were crushed. As she panicked and struggled to escape, only her tiny mews could be heard beyond the brick walls of the centre.
It just so happened that Fluffy, the Ethiopian wolf cub, was sitting in the lush, green grass, grooming his luxurious, luscious, burned apricot fur, that was as soft and silky as a strand of angel hair, fallen from the seventh heaven, and gazing towards the calming forest beyond. Suddenly, the sight of a small, helpless kitten caught his attention, Very quickly, he used his powerful paws to impede the rebellious creature, calm it down, and let it fall into a deep slumber. As luck would have had it, Flake had survived the terrifying experience with the exception of a poorly tail. With all the energy she could muster, Flake, bewildered and blinded by excitement, stood up in satisfaction and relief. And as she passed her glamorous saviour, Flake realised it had been her lucky day!
The next day, Fluffy decided to have a tranquil nap under an enormous, beautiful apple tree, with fresh, gleaming, apples in many shades of red. Just beyond Fluffy, two undercover poachers had slunk their way into the centre, in search of an invigorating beast to slay. Unfortunately, fate had decided, and their eyes were set on tiny Fluffy. They raised their nets high, waiting to pounce. Suddenly, their mouldy nets were down and poor Fluffy was doomed to becoming a filthy rich conman's precious prize.
Fortunately, Flake had heard his ravenous cries for help. Flake realised her friend was in a dangerous situation, and in a show of strength, she limped and ambled as fast as she could. As the malicious, selfish, demented hunters were about to raise their blades of death and plunge it into an innocent heart, Flake used her quick claws to rip out the evil eyes of the malevolent. Fluffy, twisting free from the wretched nets, growled in pride at his miscellaneous abductors as they ran in absolute fear.
As Fluffy and Flake watched their sadistic enemies racing towards the rusty, old gate of the beautiful conservation centre, they realised it had been their wonderful, lucky day!
The End!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!