The Track Of Terror

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

The Track of Terror

Rachel Roberts ran up to check what the whispering noises coming from the big dark wooden crates were. As she lifted the lid everything went dark. And silent. Little things ran past Rachel’s and Emily Saunders’s legs. There was a rapidly fading squeal and a dull thud as the things ran up to the front of the train.

Emily had been at school that day. It started to storm unexpectedly. Rachel Roberts had come to give Emily the official Write4Fun entry slip. Her entry was mesmerising – a crack of thunder sounded and with a bolt of lightning Rachel appeared at the classroom door. Her wavy dark red hair blew around her face and her gold sequinned dress reflected the lightning, making it look like the sun had made an archway for Rachel to come through. She had walked up to Emily’s desk and to her complete astonishment she bent down and whispered to Emily not to be surprised about what was to come. Then just as suddenly she disappeared!

That night Emily felt like she was in a deadly whirlpool getting sucked deeper and deeper down in complete nothingness! About 5 minutes after she had woken up in the most beautiful landscape with Rachel beside her. The green grass had the occasional wild flower trying to touch the blue sky with its careless wisps of cloud. Rachel pointed towards a giant factory that had Write4Fun on the side and explained that she was a book character that Write4Fun had brought to life. Together they would be riding the night express train through Book-land! Emily followed Rachel to the train station and they climbed aboard a carriage full of crates. Strange whispering noises came from the crates as the train steamed along, increasing in volume until it became virtually impossible for Emily and Rachel to hear themselves. Rachel went up and lifted the lid off of a crate. Everything went dark. And silent. Books jumped out of a crate and ran to the front of the train. There was a rapidly fading squeal and a dull thud as the books ran up to the front of the train. Emily and Rachel knew the Track of Terror was coming to life. They were rapidly approaching a cave full of long spikes. The train would not fit through! They were doomed!

Emily ran up to the front of the train in hope of stopping it but in the driver’s seat was a big book. It turned around to face her, its gleaming yellow eyes hungry for evil doing. Emily felt the whirlpool sensation again. She grabbed the driver’s hand, heaving up his unconscious body. In the nick of time she grabbed Rachel’s hand. Emily woke up in her own bed looking at the note on her bedside table. It said` Dear Emily, I got back safely and the driver is recovering. Thank-you for saving my life! Rachel ‘

Emily thought, “What a great idea for a story’ and sure enough, Emily won Write4Fun!!!!!


By Emelia Wingrave




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!