Childhood

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

"Have a good day son!"
Their tinted black windows come to a close. I bid my farewells as I try to optimistically bask in the ambience of yet another dreadful day.
My aunt looks down at me, she checks to see if my parents have driven away.
They have.
Her apparent facade withdraws.
Her son awaits by the door.
"You know the drill."
I get shoved towards the corner behind two perpendicular couches where a figure of a small girl awaits patiently by the window sill.
"Calling it a living room really is quite ironics, misleading even. It's very lifeless, too lifeless, dust mites and no lights, it's like a grave really. Maybe I'll calls it 'the dead room', how abouts 'the not-so-living room?' What do you thinks?"
Sera looks up at me with her ever-so-sweet eccentric smile. She was young, medium height, had a pale complexion and cute diction. Hip jutted to the left, standing in an akimbo position. Her brunette hair was pulled back into a high ponytail held in place by a crimson ribbon. Her twilight eyes glistened and her lips; a flawless tint of red.
I met Sera a few years ago and she’s been my best friend ever since.
My cousin walks back upstairs and his mother drives off to work. I feel safe sitting in this corner with Sera; I try to make the best of it.
I open the blinds to the front porch resembling a lookout of some sort.
Spying on the lives of the great outdoors.
A bird chirps melodiously and a cat cried in the absence of company. The feral cat walked with fragility due the stiffness of its decrepit body. Its begrimed fur and thin face, the poor geezer was suffering.
Sera taps on the glass trying to get its attention. The poor little guy waltzed up to the window sill and caressed its body against it. I bestow my hands against the glass and ‘the stray’ positions his paw in a similar manner.
“COCO! HAH! I called it!” She raises her hand and sets it over mine leaning her head over my shoulder.
“Wha- you got to name it last time, not fair...”
“You snoozes, you loses!” Her irresistible smile flared bliss in my eyes.
Sera smiles in an unparalleled way. Her perfectly aligned teeth show sincerity that radiates happiness. She has this type of smile that makes you feel just a little bit more human.
Gently lifting her brunette strands over her ear, I slowly lean towards her, arm shaking in nervousness, heart beating faster than the wings of the angels above, her cheeks, blushing hotter than an eternal flame, I press my lips firmly against hers, heat flushes my body travelling in and through my veins and onto her lips, her pain was no more and everything around us began to fade.
This was the moment.
I detach my warm lips from hers and open my eyes.
She vanished.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!