The Magical Thief

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Back in the days, there was a kingdom that once towered high into the clouds. It held many wonderful stories of kings and queens, dragons that roamed around, their breaths of fire illuminating the night skies. The divine kingdom was happy and peaceful. But nothing lasts forever…
With all good comes evil, the rise of the seven deadly sins marked mankind's downfall, they eventually succumbed to selfishness and hate, and so the kingdom collapsed due to chaotic war.
A young, fragile girl lived her life purposelessly in a tiny room, inside the most capably constructed tower of the ephemeral kingdom.
On one fateful day, she decided to explore the ruins, she found an enormous rectangular canvas, capped with a tattered cloth, and with curiosity she brought it back to her room.
When she removed the cloth, it was a painting of a room just like hers, though it seemed more vibrant than her dull one. There was a boy in the painting who started moving; he bore a smile with a striking resemblance to hers. With a cheerful demeanor, he introduced himself as a magical thief.
She felt reassured as she placed her palm against the smooth painting; tears streamed down her face, this canvas had felt warm.
"My dream is to," the girl told the boy, "live in a world filled with happiness."
Day by day the so called magical thief granted all of her wishes, the long-lasting war came to an end, long forgotten love was brought back, and laughter sprang in the girl's quiet room. The girl had seen all this in a dream, she remembered it so vividly; just the thought of it triggered nostalgia… and now all her dreams had been brought to reality by the mysterious boy in the painting.
There is nothing else left to wish for, yet there's still an empty feeling inside her.
"If only you could step out of the painting, and come and be with me…" she said. The boy only laughed, a slight hint of sadness within his lighthearted voice.
But nothing lasts forever…
"I have to go now…" he said.
"Please don't go…" she begged.
"Another world lies within this painting, yet everything is reversed. A long time ago, I learnt a forbidden magic spell and took away that peace and happiness that once was yours for my own kingdom. I've only returned what you have given me, and if I don't leave now…the spell will break. I'll always remember you, but in return… please don't forget me."
And with those last words, the magical thief disappeared from the painting, and what remained on the canvas was nothing but an empty,dull room.
The girl placed her hand against the warm canvas, tears trailing down her face. If only she could meet him somewhere else again, so until then, she would spend her entire lifetime keeping the lifeless painting in the best shape, no matter how much time goes by, she will always be…
Waiting for him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!