On My Own

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

"Mum, you won't catch me, Mum!" giggled the boy.
He ran through the dry overgrown grass ,limp silhouettes of trees looming over Adon's head; his green tunic slapped the colorless landscape with its vibrancy. The ball of energy kept running, despite growing breathless with each step Adon was immune to the crunching blades of dry grass hitting his feet like tiny daggers, but with a loud crack of a fallen branch, he was down, falling as gracefully as a deer on ice.

Morose sobbing exited Adon's quivering lips, tears flooded down his face like rain after a drought.
"MUUUUM!" screeched the Adon, faster than any reflex he would ever develop…there was no reply.
"Mum?!" desperation was clear in his voice; there was only silence.
Blood slowly rose to the surface of his stinging hands and knees as he stood up to look for his mother. Frustrated, alone and scared he looked rapidly behind trees and through clusters of dead bushes, hoping ever so desperately his mother would jump out and surprise him. She was nowhere, she was gone, and he was terrified. Curling up into a small ball, his his hands wrapped around his bloody knees, broken sobs silenced to a whimper of defeat.
"CAW!"
Scurrying backward, he stared at the aging crow before him, it cocked its head sideways and ruffled its feathers as it hopped toward him.
"Caw"
Again the bird hopped closer, Adon was still, it was next to him now, with another caw, it rubbed its head on his leg.
"Caw"
"What do you want bird?"
"Caw"
The shaggy creature flew a meter forward and Adon rose to chase it only to see it move forward again.
"Caw"
"Just go away"
"Caw"
Adon, angered by how ignorant the crow was of his feelings, ran at it to shoo it away but the bird simply flew forward, by over ten meters this time. Curious, Adon stood his ground.
"CAW!" the crow scolded impatiently and now curiosity was bubbling inside him, his scratched hands and knees no longer in memory he slowly stepped to the bird. It moved forward again, just as he had expected. Running forward towards the old crow he smiled, it flew ahead of him.
The bird flew, sliding through trees in a twisting path reminiscent in Adon’s mind but he had completely turned a left cheek to his priorities; he continued to chase.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!