The Spooky Holidays

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

It came creeping, creeping toward me, and I couldn’t turn my head away… It was 7 o’clock at night and I was home alone on 13 Spooky Street, when the bizarre new tree, Mum had just bought from Magical Gardens, started to wander. Its insidious branches were being used like axes. It was so macabre. I ran inside and hacked into Magical Gardens files. I found an effigy of myself in the files; I was having a melancholy moment when I found out Mum worked there. I thought to myself, why would Mum want to get into this horrific kerfuffle? I had a quibble with her earlier over the phone, I was so sad. I found out she was only being secretive to protect me. I celebrated but the tree was still out there and it was now approaching the open front door. AHHHHH! The door smashed into smithereens…
It dashed inside and its long tentacle-looking roots came after me like a dog on a mission. I ran into my bedroom, locked the door and hid in my closet when BANG, my door smashed. This house is going to be a wreck, I thought but I’d prefer to be alive than dead. It was approaching the closet with a knife and bat. I thought: where would it get them from but it was no time to be asking questions- I was likely to die…. when I heard someone’s footsteps, they were approaching the tree. It was a lady.
She screamed, “Find it; we need to have something against her mum!”
By her mum they meant my mum. Why did I say no to my friends when they invited me to the movies? I wouldn’t have been in this commotion.
After a while the lady left but the tree was still there. I charged out of the closet and ran outside. I thought it must be mechanical to move like that. It was so hideous when it came to the front door, all I wanted to do was run, scream and kill it. I thought, well it’s waterproof so I can’t pour water on it; maybe it has an off button. So if only I could get close enough but all the time I took to think of that, it was moving and it was only about 3 metres away. Its tentacles roots were flying toward me like a man throwing a punch. I knew I had to move fast to turn it off and so I did….
Beep!!! It was off and it tumbled like a falling tree. I was safe now but what mum did was definitely not protecting me. I thought I’m going to see how the movie 5th wave went, but I didn’t have to because when I went inside to get the phone and clean-up the house, my friends came to the door and began to help make this mayhem disappear, before mum got home from Magical Gardens.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!