Friends.

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I Elizabeth Sarah Parker have very little in the area of friend. There are about 4 of them and I don't really know what I would be without them. My mum hates them all but one. And that one is Happiness. The one I am least of all closest to. Everyone knows happiness. She dances around like the star of the show. I love happiness she makes me… happy. I always wonder why she comes to see me and why it’s only sometimes and can’t stay for long. She claims she has other people to see. But I can’t be mad at her. I never am. Then there are the others the ones who hate happiness, the ones who drive her away fro me. They are sadness, loathing and anger. They hang around all the time. Sometimes I just can’t get rid of them, you know? They make me isolate myself from others and say “could you ever get any friends better then us. We are the best thing in your life, we are what makes you... you. You don't have any other friends.” Everyone, everywhere thinks I’m crazy. Especially when I’m talking to my friends. People claim “she’s talking to the air again” and “she is absolutely crazy” and “someone send her to the Looney bin already”. I don’t understand. Why can’t they see them? Why can’t they feel them weighing in on every thought like a voice in their head? Why do they only befriend me? I’m sitting right now at the top of Persuasion High Rise Apartments with my legs dangly like lifeless creatures over the edge and right behind me the three others sit yelling those big, bad, bothering words in my ears. I know they are my friends but I feel like they only want to hurt me. They want to end me. Sadness tells me “you cant go on, you’re too…sad” loathing tells me “look at all those people you’ll never be as rich as, never be as smart as, never be as funny as and never be as beautiful as” and anger, well anger just tells me “I HATE YOU! YOU ARE SO STUPID! I HATE YOU! JUST END THIS!” and I just listen and absorb. I’m here and my only friends are behind me and I’m beginning to wonder are they even real? Are they even real? Are they just fragments of my torn up, broken imagination? If they are I can fight them, I can leave them, I can go find happiness. I can. I will. I am. I swivel around and stand on the roof. I walk right back to the entrance back into the building and leave them behind. They cry out for my to return but I will not go back. I look over and with one final blow they disappear over the edge. Never to be seen again. A weight has been lifted. I. Am. Free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!