In The Castle

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I pulled back the curtains one by one and light flooded into the castle. 1 curtain, 2, 3.......17...56 done.
"Are you done yet, poppet?" It would've been good if the windows opened right at that moment in time, if they did, I would've jumped out. My mother is the most embarrassing person you'll ever meet. She calls everybody poppet, pinches my cheeks, I'm 17, and STILL sings me lullabies at bedtime.
"Umm...nearly, yes!" I tried to speak as smoothly as I could, I didn't want to upset her. I braced myself for what her next comment would be.
"OK, sweetie pie-" I slapped myself, "-now you can decorate the great hall for a ball?" I stared at her. She twirled at the top of the staircase. We hadn't had a ball in forever!
"Mum, are you sure?" I looked up at my mum who was still having her dance right then, "and be careful!" I turned to leave and then stopped, waiting for the 'goodbye of the century.'
"OK my sweetie pie, cute faced little poppet!" Are you sure these windows don't open, I thought as my cheeks turned crimson, are you sure? I hurried out of the room before she could destroy my dignity any more than she already had. I sat down on a sofa and shut my tired eyes.
"This is too much," I whispered, my eyes still closed. I heard the hall doors opening. My eyes opened. As the hall doors swung open loudly, I ducked behind the sofa, my eyes locked on the doorway.
"Poppet!" For a second, I felt relief and then a stabbing fear. That definitely wasn't mum speaking, she wasn't a man! A bulky figure entered the hall. My eyes found his hand instantly. He was dragging mum by her red wrist through the palace. I looked up at his face and instantly recognised it, Grean. I reached for something to throw but my hand hit a hard object and I couldn't keep quiet.
"There you are!" His loud voice was ringing in my ears when I threw the pot at his head. He dodged it. I leaped to my feet and charged at him but he was too quick. Three minutes later, he was holding mum and I over the bridge. I stared down at the raging water below me. It was patterned with sharp rocks and ice. Its water was so cold that I'd turn into an ice cube the moment I hit it! His grip loosened and I screamed. I looked up at the people who were bowing their heads at me and then realised they couldn't harm the government like Grean. His grip loosened again and I grabbed my mum's hand. I took it in mine and as he let go, I managed to say the words I could never bring myself to say.
"I love you mum," I whispered, "thank you for everything." Then we hit the water and I was right, I became an ice cube.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!