D Day

D Day

The Boy sat in the old worn down street. All of the lamps had blown out. Cars sat on the curb rotting away. The houses had burnt to cinders. He didn’t love this place, not one little bit. The light of the sun pierced the street, illuminating all of its presence. The sun was hiding behind a cloud and was just returning from its shadows, it looked a lot different. It looked as if it was imploding, darkening all of the earth. Projectiles that seemed like the size of pebbles were coming from the direction of the sun. He thought ‘Is all eternity going to end in a flash, is my life going to fade into the air?’ While he was thinking the pebble shaped rocks had grown into huge boulders. He was petrified. He ran home to look at the sun in his telescope.
His mum wasn’t home so he sprinted up his stairs almost knocking down his solar system hanging from his roof. He got to his telescope and saw the rocks flying towards him. ‘They must be fragments of the sun, they must be travelling at nine million miles per hour if they can get here this fast’ he thought. ‘All of our lives and knowledge fading away, why is this happening, what have we done to deserve this? Why is darkness coming into our lives?’
He laid on his bed pondering, stressed about what is going to happen. He quickly shot up off of his bed and ran to the stairs, sliding down the railings and ran outside. The rocks were almost here. ‘ One would surely combust the earth’ he thought. When he thought that all of the rocks started to break up into smaller rocks. One had gotten past the earth’s atmosphere. A flash of light surrounded him as if there was only white in the world, and again, another flash, more rocks had pierced the atmosphere. There were no more flashes.
One rock had crashed about a hundred and five metres away and lava oozed out of it bubbling and popping. He looked up into the sky and could see Neptune, Saturn, mars, Uranus, Jupiter and the moon. It seemed as if all of the planets were getting pulled into the sun. A loud boom screamed from the sun, as if it was crying. All of the clouds seemed to be forming together. Loud thunder erupted in the air. The cloud mass was circling around the suns light. Darkness surrounded the clouds. A dark little shadow appeared in front of the sun. it was becoming bigger and bigger. It got into the middle of the cloud doughnut and came down to 10 meters above me.
The shadow shot a blue beam at me. The beam came down like a vortex, swirling and swirling. I started to rise up. My bones couldn’t move. My heart was pounding, what was going to happen. Just then I could see the floor of the ship. I saw a sign with the ship’s destination. It said,
‘CORE OF THE SUN’.

THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!