To Turn Back Time

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Jasmine sat, nervously awaiting the call from the nurse. Her heart was beating 100 times faster, her hands were cold and sweaty and her eyes locked in a stare with the ground. She could hear nothing but the sound of her heart and the worried voice at the back of her head.
“Miss Vestal,” a nurse kindly but wistfully called.
Her eyes breaking the stare with the ground, she stared at the nurse and then back at the floor. Jasmine knew it was time. Walking down the hallway seemed to take forever, not that Jasmine wanted it to go any quicker. She finally reached her destination.
With tear filled eyes, Jasmine sorrowfully glared into the room. Her worst nightmare was laying on the bed in front of her. Her legs were locked and her feet seemed like they were glued to the floor; she did not want to enter. However, Jasmine knew with her heart that she must. Entering the room felt like she was entering another dimension. Time seemed to stand still; exactly what Jasmine wanted. As she wearily yet dismally sat next to the bed, she knew she had little time left.
The sound of beeping machines and the slow and obstructed sound of her father breathing echoed through the room. The voice at the back of her head kept repeating the same phrase over and over, “I wish we could turn bock time to when everything was alright.” She had never pictured her father like this. She remembers receiving the news; her father was in hospital due to a car accident, the accident was life threatening and they do not know how much longer he has to live.
“I love you Dad,” the girl spoke as she tried her best to hold back the tears.
“Don’t be upset or afraid kiddo,” he graciously spoke, “There is nothing to be afraid of, you should be excited. We are just going on a new adventure and starting a new chapter in our story.”
Then the heartrending sound of that one tone, long beep.
Jasmine sat in absolute silent at her father’s funeral and at last, it was Jasmines turn to speak. Fighting back tears, she bravely got up and walked to the podium. She took a deep breath, but all she could do was cry. “I remember the words that my father said to me when I was six years old. My father had said, “There is nothing to be afraid of, you should be excited. We are just going on a new adventure and starting a new chapter in our story,” these were sadly his final words to me. I never understood the true meaning of these words, but over the past week, I feel as if I now know the meaning behind his words. You should never be afraid to face any challenges in life, you should go for them and try your best at every one of them. You shouldn’t be afraid of change, because change can be a good thing. Every challenge and everything that changes just unlocks a new chapter of your story and creates a new adventure.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!