Damned

I couldn’t breathe. I choked on the dirt as it filled up my lungs, and my hands clawed desperately at the dirt around me.
I tried to yell, but I had no strength, no air in my lungs, and my head felt as if it were about to explode. I dug upwards, or what I thought was upwards, for what felt like hours, but what couldn’t have been more then a minute.
As my hand broke the surface, relief flooded my body and I took in a huge breath, gagging on the moist soil in my mouth.
I dragged myself out of the ground and lay, panting, shaking, on the cold grass. My eyesight sharpened as I sat up and looked around the dark field, that was filled with rows and rows of graves.
The stench of rotting bodies was thick, and I rolled over, still shaking, and threw up on the decaying headstone of the grave that I had crawled out of.
I stood up, shivering in the cool air, and wiped my mouth on my bare arm, that was covered with blood and bruises, cuts that seemed to be healing, even as I watched, the skin stitching itself back together.
I staggered out of the cemetery, towards the old church.
I placed my hand on the gate that separated the church from the graveyard, and let out a yell of pain, causing some nearby birds to screech and fly from their nests.
My hand blistered as I watched it, the skin peeling away, bloody, only to re-heal seconds later. I gaped at my hand and then at the fence. I reached a tentative finger out again, only to pull it back in pain the second it touched the fence.
I quickly picked up a stick from the floor and manoeuvred it through the handle of the gate, letting it swing open.
What was happening to me?
I walked along the deserted path, past the church and onto the empty street, tears streaming down my face, and an agonising hunger growing in my stomach. I doubled over, my sharp nails tearing at my shirt as I moaned in pain.
I heard a voice.
I looked up, at a small child walking towards me on the path, and my vision sharpened on her neck, where I could see the blood flowing through her veins. I could smell it.
I turned around again and gagged, my empty stomach providing me with nothing to throw up. I turned back to the young girl who had moved closer, and I shut my eyes, trying to block out the thoughts running through my head.
Why was I thinking like this?
I felt a searing pain in my gums, and I could taste the blood in my mouth as my teeth seemed to sharpen.
I looked up, my eyes focusing on the vein in her neck. I was so hungry.
I leapt.
The last thing I remember is a scream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!