Gallipoli

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Sam: 19/4/1915

Its early morning. The sun has just risen over the trenches. As usual, we have no idea if this is our last sunrise, but we all hope and pray that it isn’t. But we all know that we are at huge risk. Everyday, we ponder the same question. ‘When will this end?’. We are all hurting both mentally and physically. We need to relax, need to have the burden lifted from our shoulders. But we have to face the facts. It isn’t stopping anytime soon. We’re not going home soon. It is a horrible experience, but the thought of home and family gives us hope.

Up walks the commander. I see him speaking to the runner. He says “go to the chief. Ask him if he will reconsider his plans. If you have not returned in 5 minutes, I will make the assumption that the answer is no.” and off goes Benny as fast as he could. My heart skipped a beat. If he didn’t return, it was game over. This is it. All the fight, all the resilience, for nothing. We had fought for years it seemed, only to lose through a lack of fight from an overpowering figure. But we had no choice. We were forced to be part of an unwinnable battle.

What if I never see my family again? What if I pass and nothing is left to show of me? I had to make sure I left a mark concealed in the sandy, dirty banks of Turkey, where my life may end. But here to show how much I have overcome, and to leave my legacy, on Gallipoli.

Maria: 19/4/1915

It has been painful for weeks now. I just don’t know anything about my beloved husband. Where is he? Is he in pain? Is he even alive? It hurts just thinking about it. But I can’t forget him. I can’t forget that day, the best day of my life. The day he became my husband and we said our vows. It hurts, but I can’t forget him.

I hear the door. The sound I never wanted to hear. As much as it pains me, I inch over to the door, sobbing under my breath. The man hands me an envelope. A big, yellow envelope. Inside was a letter. It read, “Your husband, Samuel Hathaway, has been severely injured. He is on his way home.” “He is coming home!” I exclaimed. But then it hit me. Will he be the man I know and love? If he has been severely injured, will he even remember me?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!