The Other Side

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

No one has ever dared climb over the wall, or even question its existence. The people of my city hardly even notice it surrounding our village, because everyone almost always has their head in a book, preferring to stick to their works of literature than face the real world. That's why I have to climb over it. I just don't fit in here, not around these control freaks and geniuses.
That is why as the sun sinks below the top of the wall sending streamers of gold, pink and orange soaring across the sky, I shut my cottage door as carefully as I can behind me. Nevertheless, it squeals in protest and slams shut with a bang, setting the local dogs off.
I sprint as fast as I can towards the power box that gives electricity to my suburb, which is sealed shut with a series of complicated locks. Taking fate into my own hands for once, I fiddle with them for a few minutes, cursing under my breath as I go along. When the last one falls free, I can't help but grin at my victory.
Inside the box is a rainbow of wires, all jumbled together and coated with dust. I take a chance and trust my instincts, hacking at the wires with a small hunting knife I packed in my satchel. After what seems like hours, the light pouring out of the windows belonging to the nearby houses finally begins to flicker precariously, eventually going out with a subtle buzz.
Confident now, I jog towards the great iron wall looming in front of me, and draw out a reasonably long rope. It coils at my feet as I pull it out inch by inch. When the last inch has joined its fellows, I tie a tight loop in the end of it and hurl it towards a single spike that sticks out of the wall. I thank my lucky stars as it secures, and doesn't budge when I begin to shimmy up the rope. By the time I reach the top of the wall, the sun has set completely.
I survey my surroundings. Behind me is the city I have known my entire existence, a series of cottages and complicated city buildings made entirely of glass. I intend to leave it behind for good. Before me is something completely different. As far as I can see, emerald green pastures stretch towards the horizon, dotted with cows and small brick huts.
I think I can make a future here, in this new world of mine. In fact I know I can. I don't look over my shoulder as I swing the rope over the other side and scale down the wall. When my feet touch the ground that belongs to the outside world for the first time, my heart skips a beat. I am ready for my new beginning.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!