The Chase

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

My feet touch the cold dark ground and the bitter air hits my face like an icy sheet of water. I turn around, scared and alone. I hear the voices again and jump into a bush as they come closer. Then they stop, just an inch from me. I want someone to jump out of the trees and reassure me it is all going to be ok. But I know it isn’t going to happen. The voices keep talking. I know they are looking for me. They had seen me in town this morning and I have been on the run ever since. I can’t believe the situation I am in, stuck in a bush not even daring to breath.
The bush is sticking into my skin and as my eyes get used to the darkness I see berries hanging. I pick one and put it into my mouth, immediately sweet juice comes rushing out. I realize I am in a black berry bush. The more I think about it the more I feel prickles digging into my skin like one thousand bees stinging me at the same time. The voices come back, they’re muffled but it’s clear they are plotting something.
I can’t take it anymore! I have been sitting in this black berry bush for AGES! Finally the voices stop talking and walk in the other direction. Here’s my chance to run. I stand up quietly and run softly in the other direction. They can’t hear me, I hope. CRACK!!!! I stand on a stick, they know I'm here. I run as fast as my exhausted legs will take me. I run all the way to town and when I get there I run down an alleyway and hide behind a bin. The people walk down the alleyway. Now I can get a proper look at them. One has a great beard and is wearing an old waistcoat with a piece of paper sticking out of the patched up left pocket. The other man has black hair and is wearing worn jeans with a shirt.
“Do you think money grows on trees Bob?” he says.
“No Dave, he was just rich. Keep looking for the girl.”
I stay put, I can't move. The bin smells like an old engine and rotten fish, and to make matters worse I am stuck with my face mushed against it.
Eventually the voices go quiet so I cautiously step out from behind the bin, glad to be breathing in fresh air again.
Suddenly a hand is on my shoulder and a booming voice says “There’s no escape now”. Bob’s great beard is inches from my face. But then he smiles in a kindly way.
“This is why Dave and I came to your house this morning.” He says handing me the paper from his pocket.
I unfold the paper. It is my dad’s will, leaving me my childhood home. I no longer have to live on the street.





FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!