Ivy's Fate

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I stumble cowardly towards the chains in the corner of the room. Titanium white dust on the crimson bloodstained floor tickled my allergies. The great white asylum crumbled slowly but surely underneath our feet. "This is where it ends?” my voice is soft. Skye smiles sadly. "This is where it ends”, she agrees quietly.
"You killed my parents, you know", she says sitting down next to me. "I'm sorry”, I murmur, horrified. It hadn’t been my fault. Although a small part of me told me it was, even if it was because I became psychotic. "Don’t say sorry. You haven’t killed them yet. Not for another ten or so years", Skye playfully punched my shoulder. If you had glanced at her, you never would have thought she would be like this. Dark hair, bottle green eyes, ink black jacket but still a sad smile. Though she wasn’t necessarily happy, she made jokes and kept her attitude light. Her personality suited her name, though Skye's appearance didn't at all.
"You know Ivy, for a clever girl like you, I wouldn't think that you have no friends at school”, she grins slightly. I think back to when she first kidnapped me and took me to the future to see what I had done. To stop me. Yeah, I had no friends. I was always the small weird girl with a big, even weirder imagination.
Until that changed.
Shattered glass and ripped branches lay on the cold, hard ground. Thinking back to when she first showed me my excruciating future...the sullen, weeping children with cold hands and dark eyes, the adults who looked like you could tip them over with the slightest of touch, the babies light as a petal in the wind and the elderly who no longer had the will to stand. A world of no hope, no future, no brightness.
It's what I‘d created.
Tears stained my cheeks as I sobbed on Skye's soft shoulder. I would die at the age of twenty five in an asylum of sorrow. My heart began panicking. Skye knew what would happen. My mind made it pour with charcoal rain in the chamber. My mind so powerful it leaked into reality. The only reason why. It drove me insane. It made my brain melt uncontrollably.
I was a good person, with a good soul. A brain with creativity and a heart filled with love and passion. But I was so strong. It took over like a whirlwind and I tried so hard not to let it destroy me. I knew Skye was trying to help. Trying not to let fate happen. She brushed my hair back and looked into my arctic blue eyes. Her words calmed me. Villains have backstories that are never told. Evil queens are princesses who were never saved. I became a villain who was saved by a time travelling orphan with no hope but changing the person who ruined her life.
For once I feel so alive.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!