Solitude

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

For Delilah it was hard. It was hard to cope with the change of the world. She could feel it spinning in her mind, people rushing in and out, in and out of her life. It always seemed to happen so quickly. Family that never cared. Friends that never stayed. It was too much for a lifetime.
It was hard to pull her mind into line when it strayed with such strength that the world was gone for what seemed like forever. Some days her mind was miles away from the world and it was nice. It was peaceful. The harmony of solitude in her mind was pulling her closer and closer to happiness which was to her, success. To others her solitude of mind was dragging her further and further away from success, which was to them, knowledge and skill.
How was it that the opposite mind was drawn to her knowledge of harmony and peace? The opposite mind that had the knowledge and skill in what the world considered, success. How can minds of opposite knowledge be brought together in such a way that they are compatible with each other? To share the knowledge and help the mind. To cleanse it of doubts of true worth. Everyone has their worth to the world, no matter the path that is chosen or forced upon them. There is always room for a new idea in the ever-changing, ever-spinning word of those who care and those who don’t.
Despite the opposite minds, the two were bound with forces so strong that they both felt they had found a friend that wouldn’t leave. As strong as they felt the connection was, they were wrong. She left. She left Delilah to be alone in the ever-changing, ever-spinning word. She too was then, alone. She spent time crying over the mistake she had made and yet still could not bring herself back. She left. Delilah was carried back into the world that lay inside her head; the one that didn’t change, the one that didn’t spin.
Disappointment in the outside world was to her, inevitable. She would find her true worth, only to be let down again. She would run to the carrot only to have it whisked away at the last minute. The reality of her depression was so surreal to her that its presence seemed unthinkable. Her quest for true happiness always seemed so close to an end, whether it be from failure or success. Life was a burden only carried by force upon her, although death was not her wish in the slightest. Solitude in a state of mind was all she ever wished for. Not life, not death but Solitude. Whether it came in life or death, all she wished for was solitude.

So the world keeps changing, the world keeps spinning and Delilah keeps living.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!