Daisy's Hat

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

The hills that dance across the valley are a smoky, hazy, green colour that stands proudly against the landscape. Thick gusts of wind sway in a spiral twist; as if a ballet dancer is trapped inside of the soothing air. The delicate sound of the chatter that the dandelions make as they spread secrets like wildfire through the tall, lean, and rusty grass graces my ears. Kate has decided to lie down on a particular floral patterned grass patch—along with my brother, Andrew. Her swirls of deep, burning red hair sprays the ground flatteringly as she glances up at the pale assortment of pristine clouds.
My thick, dark, seeds of hair are swept into a glowing bundle of strands by the scorching summer’s sun. My green eyes poke out between the confined shade around my oval shaped face, caused by my bright, riveting green hat. The sound of crunching, and the grinding of teeth is carried across the brim of my hat, and into my soft pink ears. This sound (presumably) comes from Daisy, my skinny, bubbly, cheeky, grey goat.
It is only when the smell of bushy, wet grass, enters my flared nostrils that I become aware of the nibbling noises above my head, and the slight tugging on both my stringy, bushy hair, and the sudden rise of my floral hat.
"Hey! Daisy, give that back!" I say, my voice softer than melted butter. My legs shake slightly, due to the fact that I was just lying down and I am now standing up.
"Ha-ha! Go on Josie, catch her!" Andrew has a deep chuckle that grazes the back of his vocal cords as he speaks. He then sneakily glances at Kate— his girlfriend of three years.
That is when Daisy decides to buck her hooves, and kick the dusty, brown soil from underneath her soft, white fur covered belly.
It is in that moment I decide to react—with sweat dribbling down my face like a waterfall of pure crystals, as I begin sprinting.
Daisy's quick and nimble limbs seem to glide through the grass, and every time she stops to turn and stare at me, she draws her head towards the ground and nibbles on the grass with her big teeth—taking chunks of material out of my hat as if she is mistaking it for the green vegetation.
Others would have given up the persisting respectfully and shamefully by now; I am not so smart, or wise. I sigh as I meander ever so closer towards my cheeky goat— panting as I do so.
As I get ever closer to my hat, I approach from her right side so I don't get kicked in the face if she gets frightened. I suddenly launch myself at her, but she is much faster than me and instead getting caught by me she lets out a huff, and runs away—leaving me to chew the ground, and look at the ribbon left in front of me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!