The Gargoyle And The Shadows

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition


Creek. The rusty, iron door opened to reveal an endless hallway of doors. Gryphon's granite claws pushed the door back further on her left while carrying an oil candle on the right. She could usually sleep well at night but this particular night was an exception. The constant rattling noises always woke her from her slumber and she couldn't find her pet spider, Silver. He had been her only closest companion ever since 14 years ago. The other 300 years had filled with loneliness. The dark shadows filled Gryphon with fear but she was going to let that stop her from finding Silver. Creeping further and further into the shadows, she called out "Silver. Are you there?" There was nothing but silence. As Gryphon crept further into the corridors of the ancient hallway, her stone heart was beating faster by the minute. Suddenly, she heard something crawling around. She jumped and turned around to see what it was. It was only an owl. "Oh." she said in relief. However, when she turned around again, she got an even bigger, more dangerous surprise. It was a giant vampire cat gargoyle with giant bat-shaped wings and large fangs. It was keeping someone prisoner in it's claws. Gryphon knew who it has. "Silver." she cried. The vampire cat pounced. Gryphon took a few steps back, her stone body shaking a little. Then, she took a deep breath and said "Give me back my friend." But the vampire cat was not going to give up that easily. He pounced again to catch Gryphon. He missed. "How am I going to save Silver?" Gryphon wondered. She looked around to see what she could use to fight the vampire cat with. She grabbed a long, empty candlestick and wield it around like a sword. The cat swooped overhead and dived down towards Gryphon but kept missing. Silver managed to get one of his legs out of the vampire cat's claws and waved at Gryphon. Gryphon looked while breathing heavily. She knew she couldn't stop this winged monster with just a candlestick. Then she noticed some chains behind the vampire cat. Timing it just right, she ran just as it pounced again and grabbed the chains. Looking back, she saw the vampire cat catching it's breath. She swinged the chains over her head like a lasso and catched the vampire cat's tail with the chains. She pulled to tighten it and wrapped it around the candlestick's stand. When the vampire cat flew towards her, it was pulled back by the chains and stopped in it's tracks. Gryphon freed Silver and the two of them ran back upstairs before the vampire cat had a chance to free itself and catch them. Making sure the coast was clear, Gryphon and Silver both gave each other a hug and watched the full moon together on the window stand. But little did they know that the vampire cat wasn't the only danger lurking in the shadows.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!