Liam

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

"Hahahaha." I heard a familiar laugh as we chased each other around the yard. "I'm going to get you, this time, Ney-o-mi." It was evident he couldn't quite pronounce my name yet.

The yard we played in seemed like a jungle. I could hear birds chirping and wind rustling the trees. I could smell the scent of freshly cut flowers as they danced on the wind. I could feel my hair shift and bounce as we ran. I couldn't see much as my vision seemed recorded. Like it would only show a certain part of the image.

I could feel the grass under my bare feet. It was a refreshing scene. One that dreams are made of and memories could be kept safe.

"Can we play aeroplanes now?" I heard the words of a young girl come from somewhere around me but I didn't look to see who it was.

"Yeah!" exclaimed the boy that looked so familiar. His ratty, dark brown hair and careful matching brown eyes made me seem so at ease in the moment. His cute dimples hang at the sides of his mouth as he pulled back his lips to show off a smile that could warm a room. As he did the top lip disappeared under the happiness that he exposed.

His soft ears, stretching from the top of his brow to the bottom of his nose that slightly moved as he talked. His nose that wrinkled when he didn't like something or when the air around him turned grey. His face carved so his chin would always be carefully lowered from the rest of his face. Almost like his cheeks were filled with too much joy that it made them appear bigger than any other child's.

I looked again. It was a child. An innocent, defenceless child. Then why did he look so familiar?

The dead leaves echoed as we jumped and ran around. I looked up as a small giggle came from within me. The little girl was me! Then who was I playing with? I could feel my arms lock at in the ‘T’ position while plane sounds escaped from the boy’s mouth.

"Keep up Ney-o-mi!" He screamed in delight between the sounds of either a plane or helicopter. Soon I joined him in the harmony of awkward noises.

We darted out of the garden and onto the soft grass. The boy made static sounds before speaking. "Captain Liam here. Have a safe flight!"

Liam! That's who the boy was. He was my best friend when we were kids. It felt so good to be able to see him like this. Joyful. Playing. Having fun. Without a care in the world. I haven't visited his grave in years. Was it still even there?

My vision was blurred at the edges. The image of his name only being written now on a tombstone saddens me. How could such a loving boy live such a short life?

Then I regretfully woke, silently crying.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!