A Wood Frog's Heart

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

?Jack walked into his new classroom, feeling dozens of beady eyes on his back. His teacher's name was Mrs Fortune. Since he was new he had to shake his teacher's hand. He concentrated on warm places where there is no ice, and he managed not to freeze his teacher. "Good morning," his teacher said.
"I don't like people touching me," answered Jack. He walked over to his desk and the wood suddenly felt cold. "Warm thoughts," Jack thought. The desk slowly became warmer.

The next day he went to school, sat on his desk & began the day. At lunch he was playing tag when someone got him 'it' and they froze solid. "What is happening here!?" Mrs Fortune asked. "Who did this?"
"It was me," Jack uttered.
"It could not have been you," Mrs Fortune replied.
"I'll show you," Jack answered, as he touched another student. The student froze to ice.
"Can you fix it?" Mrs Fortune asked.
"Yes," Jack said as he imagined them not force. They both unfroze.

"How do you do that?" asked Mrs Fortune.
"My heart was fused with one of a wood frog's," he answered.
"I don't believe you. You shall be expelled for freezing 2 students, or at least suspended."
An hour laster he accidentally froze another student. That was the last time he was being taught in that school.

"Okay, the problem is that I got expelled," Jack explained to his mother. "I need to get an education or my wood frog heart will make me act like a frog. This school is the only one left, so I need to get back into this one."
"It might not work," Jack's mother said, knowing of his plan.
Jack became a wood frog, shrinking and growing webs from his fingers.
"It has to." Jack was planning to be Mrs Fortune's pet. It was risky business, seeing as Mrs Fortune was a science teacher, and dissected frogs. "It will work," Jack murmured. At school.....

"AAAAGGGHHH! A frog!" Mrs Fortune slowly approached the wood frog in the garden. "I think it's a little cute. I will keep it." Jack's plan seemed to be working perfectly. Mrs Fortune went into her classroom and said to her big students, "I have a wood frog I found in the garden." Jack laughed at how well the plan was working, but it came out as a croak. "Will you dissect it?" Asked a student, sending a shiver down Jack's spine. Then it hit him.

If his plan worked, if Mrs Fortune liked wood frogs, how would it get him into school? He would just be back where he started. So he transformed into a human and ran far, far away, to the forest. He stayed there, acting like a frog for years, until he transformed into a wood frog, and could not change back. His mother died from grief when she found out. Jack was eventually hunted down by a fox, and fed to her offspring.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!