Georgia's Tail

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

‘SPLASH.’ Paula and I jumped into the ocean, shrieking as the cold water met our skin. I splashed Paula and she fell over, surprised. She stood up, giggling, her blonde hair dripping and plastered to her face, but her blue eyes sparkled with laughter. She sent a bigger splash towards me that drenched my clothes.
“I’m soaking now!” I cried, peeling seaweed out of my hair, but grinning too. “I’ll get you for that!” I exclaimed and splashed Paula again.
A few moments later, Paula stopped and squinted at something in the distance.
“Georgia!” She exclaimed, “Look out there! Something’s sparkling under the waves. I’m going to investigate.” She began to swim out further and further, and I saw something horrifying.
“Paula!” I screamed desperately, “COME BACK!” But Paula didn’t hear and when she ducked under the water, she didn’t come up for so long, that I nearly fainted in fright. When she finally broke the surface, she looked terrified.
A siren pierced the air and everybody rushed out of the water. My heart stopped and I felt sick. I. Could. See. A. Shark. It began to circle Paula who looked at me, her face a picture of sheer terror.
I was frozen to the spot, but a strange tingling in my legs made me look down. The water around me was glowing and when it cleared, I saw my legs had been replaced with a shiny, green mermaid tail!
‘How’s this possible?’ I wondered in shock. Then I realised what I could do with it. I could save Paula. I flicked my tail and at once went speeding through the water. I grinned and in a few more flicks, I’d reached Paula. She looked relieved, but surprised, however, there was no time for explaining. I ducked underneath the water and at once came face to face with the hungry shark. Fear raced through my veins and, on instinct I whacked the shark’s nose with my tail. He retreated a bit and then came back again. Angry. I whacked him hard, over and over, my confidence growing with each slap. After the third hit, the shark glared at me, and then slunk away in defeat. I surfaced again, and saw Paula shaking. I led her to the shore, but my tail didn’t disappear.
“Paula.” I said, confused, “My tail’s still here. I can’t come out without legs.” Paula frowned and then held out a shiny, aqua stone.
“I found this sparkling under the waves,” she explained. “When the shark came, I wished you could save me. I think my wish gave you your tail.”
“Please, try wishing for me to have legs again.” I begged. Paula tried, but nothing happened. Her eyes brimmed with tears.
“What have I done?” She sobbed, and thrust the stone to me before running off, tears streaming down her face.
“Paula!” I yelled, but she didn’t turn back. ‘I have to break this spell and get my legs back.’ I thought worriedly.
‘But how?’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!