Hallelujah

“Hello, mum?”
“Yes, dinner is in the fridge”, mum replied back still staring at her paperwork.
“Um. I- I won the State Championships.”
“Okay. Try harder next year maybe you win next time.”
The girl took a patient breath and went upstairs. She sat on her bed and looked at her dressing table. Above it was her favourite photo of her, mum and dad standing together beneath the Eiffel Tower. She remembered that she was terrified of going up there. Then her dad and mum wrapped their hands around hers and started humming ‘Hallelujah’ by Rufus Wainwright and her fear vanished. She will never forget that day because they were all smiling. She met her eye in the mirror.
Just a few hours ago she was dressed in a shimmery ocean blue colour that complimented her dark brown hair. Her mind started spinning as she started recalled the day’s events.
“Next in our under 16’s we have a 3 year champion in a row, Emily Martinez. Round of applause please”, the announcer called making the crowd cheer.
Emily stepped onto the ice rink, sailing on its surface to the centre. She took a calming breath and gave the sign to start. ‘Hallelujah’ by Rufus Wainwright began playing, pulling Emily into the motion of figure skating. Her body moved with every emotion of the song. Landing every jump and making every transition. Soon the words died out she was back on her bed.
Blinking, Emily took her gaze to the left, stopping to frown upon the photo of her dad smiling. She sunk into a memory of when dad left. Dad and mum got into a really bad fight. She remembered pleading that she will win every ice skating competition if they could just stop. They did not stop and dad’s car accident was the proof. After the funeral, mum shut down from the world. Now Emily wanted change.
Before Emily knew it she was sliding down the stairs case and entering the kitchen. Her mother was still there with her paperwork.
“Mum.”
“Um.”
“Could you please say something nice?”
“Why?”
“Because I don’t remember the last time you did.”
There was a long silence and finally mum looked up at me. I knew I had to continue.
“I miss the way it used to be.”
Long pause. Emily inhaled sharply. She wanted for things to be right.
“Do you remember when I was little and I used to get so upset that I would go to my room and hide in the corner. You would always come to find me and you would wrap your arms around me and you would sing. Sing ‘Hallelujah’”. Her voice quivered and tears stained her cheeks but she kept pouring her emotions.
“I really miss you, mum. I really need you. Mum?”.
Mum slowly rose up and came over to stand next to Emily. She wrapped her arms around her and started singing.
“The minor fall, the major lift, the baffled king composing Hallelujah”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!