The Package

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

“Mum, dad. Wake up! Come on, wake up.” I can hardly believe it’s my birthday – and double digits.
“Don’t you remember what day it is? It’s my birthday. Get up.” I can’t wait a second longer.
In my excitement, I fly down the stairs nearly going head over heels. My heart is now thumping even harder.
“Wow!” There is a pile of presents in the middle of the lounge room floor, wrapped in brightly coloured paper. My eyes dart from one present to another searching for that special one. These presents are really great but all I really wanted for my birthday was a watch. I shuffle the presents around, hoping that a small package might be buried somewhere underneath. No,
nothing.
Mum and dad wander in. Mum’s carrying my little brother Noah. He waves a chubby hand at me. I try to force a smile. Mum puts Noah on the floor and he crawls over to me. I hand him a present and he happily tears at the wrapping. There’s one present left when Dad suddenly pick me up and swings me up over his shoulder.
“Let’s have some brekkie. So what will it be - birthday pancakes?” I try to smile but I am beginning to give up of any hope that the last package could be a watch.
The day seems to drag on forever. I trudge home from school. Ten is not going to be my lucky number after all. I look up as I hear dad whistling. But it’s not his every day whistle, this
one means he’s up to something. “Better get changed birthday girl. We’re off to a super birthday dinner for a special girl who’s just turned double-digits.”
I zoom upstairs, change, then out to the car in record time. “Close your eyes. We’re nearly there,” says mum. I squeeze my eyes tight shut and only open them when the car finally stops. But I don’t have to open them to know where we are, I can smell pizza!
“Awesome. My favourite pizza parlour.” Noah looks exited too although he usually just sucks at a bit of the crust. Even though I know exactly what I want to order dad hands me the menu. As I open the cover, a small package falls onto the table.
Dad raises his eyebrows. “Open it.” The present is a small box but it has a lock and I don’t have a key. I look at mum and dad. “Oh the key. I must have put it in my bag,” she says fishing around in her handbag. “Here it is.” I hold my breath as I put the key into the lock. It clicks open and the lid pops up. Inside is the coolest watch I have ever seen. I jump up and hug mum and dad. “This is the best birthday ever.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!