Believe

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

Hi I’m Nikki. I am - I mean - I was a non-believer.
When I was three I got sent to an orphanage that was, well, unpredictable.
The only constant in my life was my best friend Alex and my belief that one day I would be reunited with my mum.
One night while looking out the window, a mysterious light appeared on the peeling window sill. “Darling Nikki, I am your mum. I’m sorry I had to leave you all alone” she started. “Come and see me in my real life, where we can be together once more. Just find the sprite in the cellar”. Her voice started to fade. “Remember find the sprite in the cellar”.
I didn’t understand, fairies and spites didn’t exist! It must have been a dream. I tossed and turned but knew I had to see for myself.
I ran to Alex and tapped her gently on the shoulder. “Alex” I whisper. “Alex” I repeat again. She woke with a startle.
“What…Who… she said groggily, her hair standing on end. “Did you have a nightmare?” she asked tenderly.
“No my mum was at the window” I said quite shaken. “Can you come with me into the cellar?”
Alex was confused but didn’t argue. We went down into the cellar and saw something small, bright and yellow speaking in a squeaky high pitched voice. Her hair looked alight on top of her head.
“Nikki, Alex, welcome!” Yes it’s true we do exist!” The sprite squeaked. “Hello I’m Shimmer!” I’ve been sent to guide you back to my queen, Rosemary, your mother Nikki!”
Shimmer was now glowing even brighter with excitement. After muttering a rhyme under her breath we all started spinning, getting quicker and quicker at a rapid pace. Before I knew what was happening we were teleported to a magical land.
“We followed Shimmer until she stopped at the edge of a dark and foreboding forest. If you want to find your mum Rosemary, you must head into theirthere”, Shimmer swallowed hard and pointed at the dark forest.
Alex and I looked ahead, our eyes widening with fright. Before she left Shimmer added “oh yes and BEWARE OF THE TROLLS!"
Alex shuddered; her face went pale with worry.
“Are you ok?” I asked. “Trolls up ahead” she warned in a whisper.
We heard the trolls chant “Fe, fi, fo, fum soon you’ll be in our tum!”
I shrieked with fright which alerted the troll’s attention to us. The trolls headed towards us at a surprisingly rapid pace. Suddenly out of nowhere a blinding light came between us and the trolls. The trolls ran for cover and emerging out of the luminous light was a familiar silhouette…my mum!
We were greeted by my mum, Queen Rosemary’s, welcoming smile and outstretched arms. I ran into her arms and was immediately reminded of my mum’s warmth from so long ago.
We were together again and then I knew that good things come to those who wait… and believe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!