Wonder Place

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I watched as the waves crashed down onto the shore. The smell of salt water filled my nostrils. The ocean was an impossible blue and glistened with the evening sun. The sky transitioned from blue to pink as the warm sun sank down. This caused a stream of sunlight to appear on the water, making it easy to see the ripples in the ocean. I took a deep breath of salt and sandy beach air. I closed my eyes and listened to all the sounds around me. “Jade, we’re going!” My Mother’s voice cut through the air like a knife. “Coming!” I yell back. It’s 7:00pm at Liv and I’s sleepover at my place and we are brainstorming what we should do.
“Why don’t we dance?” Olivia suggests. Ever since Liv and I went to different schools, I’d forgotten how much I loved dancing. I immediately turn on my CD player. A song we came up with together
begins to play. The loud music fills our ears. We both jump up and begin to dance. Music changes my mood and makes me feel magical. We turn, jump and use our arms and legs to dance like no one else can. I close my eyes and feel the music and movement fill my soul. We grab onto each other and spin each other around like it’s the most incredible duet anyone has ever laid their eyes on. A dance filled
without stretched arms and straight legs. Near the end of the dance, I fall back with my arms out as Liv spins round and round like a ballerina. As I fall back with my eyes closed, I feel my head go into cold water. My eyes fly open and I pull back up to sitting position. A gasp escapes my mouth as soon as I open my eyes. Luscious green vines spread and climb up my bedroom walls. My bedroom floor beneath me turns to forest floor with leaves every shade of Summer and Autumn. It grows and eats up my bedroom, spreading to the wall opposite me. Tall, brown trees burst from the ground as the ceiling flitters away, like gentle snowflakes trickling down from the sky. The orange sunlight screams through the gaps in the canopy of leaves. It was the most breathtaking thing I had ever seen.
Once the magical forest had swallowed up my whole bedroom, I stood up, slowly taking it all in. I turned around to see a crystal blue lake where this whole thing began. In the water, I saw my reflection staring at me.
I stared back. The girl in the lake had wavy, but messy, chocolate brown hair. She had emerald, green eyes just like her Mum and a light sprinkle of freckles across her cheeks and nose. I whipped around when I heard Liv calling my name, but I couldn’t stop admiring the secret land
I was in.
Something about it was mysterious and forbidden, but beautiful and peaceful as well. It was then that I instantly knew what to call this sacred forest. Its name was Wonder Place.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!