Tears

I walked into the auditorium thinking that this would be the last night I would do this again. It was the school awards ceremony at the end of the year and the day after, I was moving. Mum had curled my hair into ringlets and braided the front of it to keep my unruly red hair out of my face. When I walked in, I looked for my best friend Hallie.
Hallie and I had been friends since reception. We were total opposites yet the same. Hallie had brown hair, I had red, hers was wavy, mine’s frizzy, she is so very outgoing and doesn’t care what others think while I’m pretty shy and quiet. We both love singing and acting and we both love each other. I knew I would miss her.
I walked up the stairs, keeping my emotions under a smile. When I reached Hallie, I could tell something was wrong. She looked as if she was holding back tears and it seems as though she was.
I took home quite a few awards that night and so did Hallie but that didn’t matter. Hallie had the honor of singing solo to all of us that night and I knew the song so I sat singing with her and feeling undeniably proud of her. When she finished, she almost ran back up the stairs and sat down. I congratulated her and noticed that she was crying at the same time. I tried to get her attention but she refused to look at me.
When the night was finished, we both walked out to the cafe together and took some photos with just me and her. We also took some photos with some other girls but that didn’t mean much to me.
We stuck together like glue that night until she had to go home. When her parents told her to say goodbye, she grabbed me and held me as tight as she could and I didn’t want to let go. Her mum started crying as well and try as I might, the tears just wouldn’t come so I held onto her as well. When we finally let go, her mascara was running and she took hold of her mum and didn’t look at me again. I watched as my best friend in the entire world walked out of the building and away from me. She hadn’t wanted to take home her art from that term so I took it. It was a piece of white paper with the words faith on it all done in dots.
I still have that piece of paper and it hangs on my bedroom wall along with the picture of us. I still miss her and she still misses me but this separation only makes the times we see each other even more special. In fact, I might ring her right now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!