Tears

A thick charcoal blanket, shadowing the small suburb surrounded by woods below, covered the sky. A shadow shifts through the woods …

I have to get away. I have to leave before he sees me. I have to run to save myself. But what will greet me in front?

My heart freezes into solid ice. Then a hammer pounds on in, cracking it into smithereens. crack. The first small crack to my frozen heart. Crack. A line straight in the middle. CRACK. I hear it shatter in a million pieces, leaving a hollow space. All that’s left is a hollowed shell.

I spot my car and run towards it, slamming the door shut. I shove my keys before stepping on the accelerator, thrusting me forward, out into the road. I look at the rear-view mirror and see him not far behind. I sped through familiar roads, not paying attention to anything. I just didn’t care anymore.

I didn’t care if I was speeding and I certainly didn’t care if I get a fine the next day. I didn’t even care if I get in an accident. I would rather die today than try to live a normal life full of fake smiles. I don’t want to suffer anymore.

In the distance, I spotted the familiar cream coloured house with my black curtains flowing out the open window. Desperation took over as I skidded the car in front of the house, not bothering to park it properly or even take the time to get the keys. I rushed inside, running straight to my pin board, tearing pictures down. With every picture, a scream tears through my throat. I scream for the fool that I have become, letting everything go.

I got up like a newborn doe, as if I was possessed and headed straight for the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror. Judging. Her face was ghostly white; her nose was bright red with a bit of snot dripping from it, her hair strewn into a bird’s nest, her lips cracked. But worse of all, were her red and puffy eyes. The life and colour completely drained. They were dull, no longer bubbly with mischief. With her eyes, she could have easily passed as a corpse.

I heard a familiar engine in the driveway, snapping me out of my thoughts. Desperately, I opened the dresser and took a fistful of pills. I heard the front door downstairs open and hurried footsteps rush upstairs. I put the tap running, scooping some water using my hands and swallowed the pills.

I can feel my eyelids becoming heavy, my body going limp and hitting the floor. Just before I succumbed to the sweet lull of darkness, I could hear footsteps approach. I could feel arms carry my limp body. Then an empty abyss surrounded me as I fell into a deep sleep. A sleep I hoped I wouldn’t wake from. But whose tears are pulling me away from my slumber?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!