Journey

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

I eat my normal, daily breakfast, anticipating the day ahead. Rumours among us having been spreading like wildfire. One idea is that we’re going to a land of snow; however my aunt thinks we will be going to the shores of turquoise water. I don’t mind, as long as I’m with my family.
We are taken to a dock where a large boat awaits. As I walk on, I notice the ship feels extremely claustrophobic with everyone squeezed in, and as I look around I notice faces sinking into disappointed expressions. My parents look shocked and even concerned, but we take our place in a corner. There is a horrid stench that fills the stale air and flies buzz around us. Suddenly I don’t feel so excited. I lay down on the timber floor along with my parents. Hours pass and yet no food or water is brought to us, I wonder why and hope that we get some soon.
Others around me look concerned. I drift off to sleep, trying to wipe the looks of anxiety from my mind.
When I wake, I have no idea what time it is. Down where we are in the ship is always dark, but as others start to rise, I gather it must be early in the morning. Once again, no liquid or solid, of any type, is brought to us. On the third day however, we are brought buckets of water. Everyone rushes to them but by the time we get there, it’s all gone. I love my parents, more than anything in the world and hate to see them suffering.
Waves slam into the ship and a soft beat thumps in my head matching the sea’s rhythm. My lips are the driest they’ve ever been and as I stand up, I notice my thighs aren’t as chunky and my ribs are more prominent.
On the fourth day food is given to us, and although it is mouldy, we eat it as if we haven’t tasted food before. I sleep well and when I awake, I try to walk around but my parents block my path. As they rush me back into my corner, I catch a glimpse of her. My aunt. Her body is just a shrivelled lump and her face is lifeless.
Many days later, a whistle blows we hear voices and shouting and the door out of the ship opens. My parents spin around shocked. It’s dark outside as I walk out. Panic fills the air. I am scooped up and thrown into a wooden crate. I scream for my parents.
Torches are lit and I see my family and friends being pulled and yanked into one big heap as if they are nothing. Crying out in pain, being burnt and stabbed and scratched I turn away and cry. My parents’ eyes, flash in my mind. I frantically look down, at the bottom of the crate. There in stamped, black ink, is the word ‘BEEF’.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!