Never Give Up

A roar, louder than my vocabulary can describe, reverberates around the stadium as a cacophony of noise. My eyes dance wildly around the stands as I take in what is going on. I see flags from different countries flapping about in the hands of enthusiastic fans. I smile when I see Australian’s flag and know I am doing this for my people, my country and my land.
The Rio Olympics. Only a few people are privileged enough to go here and I am one of them. Even though I am thousands of kilometres away from Australia, this feels like home. The mixed aroma of sweat, concrete and chlorinated water reminds me of my local swimming pool and I block out all the commotion to see it’s clear water rippling subtly. My eyes flicker to the Russian lady next to me and I see her malevolent stare directed straight at my way.
“You better count your lucky stars, southerner, because once this race is over you’ll be packing your bags and hopping on a one-way ticket straight back to Australia,” she smirks, her pearly teeth glinting in the light. I keep my cool.
“Oh really? Well I say good luck to all and may the best swimmer win,” I nod firmly and flash a light smile right back at her. My Granny Florence always says a kiss for a blow is the best way to deal with your problems. I know Granny’s right when I see the Russian harden up and go back to preparing for the race. I look at the board and her name is printed neatly above mine in lane 6, Vera Morozov.
“SWIMMERS! TO YOUR MARKS!” A loud voice blares out of the speakers and I breathe calmly, trying to mentally break the knot that has formed in my stomach. I lower my goggles and look down at the number 5 painted on the platform. A few moments of silence are allowed before the race official shouts,
“On your marks!”
I lower into the lunging position.
BANG!
I glide through the air and break the surface of the water. I keep my head down and just go for it. Out of the corner of my eye I see Vera slipping away in front of me and kick with all my might. She doesn’t slow down and I can’t catch her. The finish line is 100 metres away and I forbid myself from slowing down. I kick harder and harder. Stroke faster and faster. I’m catching up to her! 20 metres left and suddenly I snap into a robotic mode where I have no limits and know no such words as, ‘give up’. I only see my local swimming pool and only hear my coach telling me to go! Go! Go! I tear into a last stroke and leap for the end of the pool.
YES!! My mouth drops as I realize what I just did! I stare intently at the replay and see, that I. Came. First.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!